desktop watermark

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
wmmiller

Re: desktop watermark

Post by wmmiller »

Just thinking out loud. Why would an end user (unless told) go looking in the start menu for anything if they were having trouble installing something?

What happens when one leaves behind EP settings, leaves a desktop and/or a start menu shortcut and those get deleted or maybe never noticed, you never see that computer again for whatever reason, another tech later figures it out, tells their new customer what the deal was and that person who used to be your customer starts to bad mouth you because you did something they had to pay someone else to figure out?

This is why I never leave it on any computers except my own that I have control over.

I think there is a tread somewhere on here where we beat this to death but I haven’t tried to find it.

Bill

Pessimism vs Optimism - I struggle with it all the time. I’ve been accused of thinking things to death so just take it for what it is. :)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I do NOT put it on refurb computers because the person has not customized the computer yet but on all other computers, I usually put it on there and show them the desktop icon. I tell them it is a service I provide to them at no charge that does a very good job of protecting them from rogue installations such as spyware and viruses.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I understand what you’re saying. I live in such a small town where everyone knows everyone. I have found they just don’t listen, care or want to spend money. Just yesterday the town hall was trying to install a new printer and had troubles getting it to install. I went there, downloaded the currant software, divers and firmware and it installed like it should. Anyway, to make a short story long, I fired up SUPERAntiSpyware I left on the computer and it said the last scan was 1 year ago. That was the last time I touched that computer. It seems nobody around here gives a crap until things grind to a halt. So, unless a customer shows some interest in knowing stuff, I just put notes on the invoice and leave them alone. Sad! :(

Oh well. At least when my kids have problems with their computers, before I can even ask, they say. “Yes dad, I rebooted it”. :D
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

Oh, I totally agree with you. A lot of the people I deal with from a technology stand point "can't find both hands, sitting on them." The leaves me with the dilemma, do I try to protect them over all and let some updates not install because they don't know to click a button or do just say forget it and let what ever thing pop right up? If I chose the latter then I am essentially saying that "over all EP isn't any good and I'm better off not using it." I have thought about it a while and for the over all good of the user I would rather have java not update as opposed to some of the alternatives. Sure that leave the java vulnerabilities but it also blocks tons of other potential problems.

That's just my take on it. Reminds me of a line from a movie. A person is smart, people, are stupid. That about sums up the "General public."
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

You make sense Jim. It’s amazing how well those same people listen when it comes to a repair on their car. :lol:
Xander

Post by Xander »

wmmiller wrote:Just thinking out loud. Why would an end user (unless told) go looking in the start menu for anything if they were having trouble installing something?
Because we told them that's where to look. Same reason they'd look on the desktop for something called "Immunization Configuration". Your average user isn't going to connect that with having trouble installing so we're going to have to tell them one way or another. More often than not, we'd be getting a phone call or email and we'd instruct them. Putting it in the Start menu just puts less of our own clutter on their desktop.

I'm just opining - I don't immunize systems because I don't want panicking grammas calling me five times a day.