Fred Claus

You want to tell us a little bit more about yourself? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Re: Fred Claus

Post by wmmiller »

I just downloaded the new beta. My computers to clean. I’m going to try it on my wife’s.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I have not downloaded it yet but I will soon, I have not gotten out my computer yet. I have a 2 week old HP envy. Freed was saying he was jealous of the Asus I had and now I have another new one. That Asus was junk, I was surprised but it was. I also have a two month old Dell convertible that I been using. I suspect both are clean and in a couple months both will have Windows 10.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Just cleaned all my computers yesterday. Will have to find one at the church that hasn't been done yet. Is the new beta for the portable UVK also? I only do downloads when I plug in and it says an update is ready.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yes, you can download the portable beta in the .exe and .com version and of course there is the installer version as well.

You can get them here: http://www.carifred.com/uvk/beta/
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

It is the portable one too. I run all versions of UVK some one has to test the betas.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

The download is not updated yet. The server hasn't refreshed the dns after the .htaccess update. I guess you guys better try again later. Sorry about that.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Good call Jim. I meant portable and .com version.

No troubles Fred. We will be ok. :lol:
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Cool. I will try later when Fred has the DNS updated.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm confused on the htaccess thing and how it affects the download...
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I don’t know for sure but I think this will give you some insight.

http://www.htaccessredirect.co.uk/

Then maybe this:

What is DNS propagation? DNS propagation is the time delay between the time you make DNS changes on your authoritative DNS servers, usually at your hosting provider, and the time it takes for these changes to be seen by your end users and customers. The time it takes to propagate is going to be based on your current time to live (TTL) settings for the resource record your changing. These TTL values must expire from the recursive DNS servers around the Internet. Meaning the recursive DNS servers at ISP's around the world. Once the TTL value reaches zero the recursive DNS server will then need to ask the authoritative DNS server for the new answer. The higher the TTL value the longer it takes changes to propagate because it will take longer for the cached value to expire. This tools will query several recursive DNS servers at random ISP's around the world to report on what IP address they are currently returning to their end users DNS queries for your domain. This will help you gauge if the changes you have made are being propagated in a timely manner.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, here's what is happening: Each time I upload a stable version, I remove the beta packages. The thing is: I found out there are actually many links to the beta packages over the web, and they become invalid when I remove them.

So I thought about making a 301 redirect through .htaccess until I had a new beta to release. Very bad idea. Now the browser keeps redirecting even after I removed the .htaccess line. I had to clear the Chrome's cache for it to work properly again.

So, there you go: If it downloads the 7.2.3 version instead of the 7.2.4 Beta, just use UVK to clear your browser's cache, and it should be fine then.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Ah I see. That makes sense there. There are really that many places that link to the beta? That's kinda surprising but good that it dresses traffic huh? :D
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yeah, there are actually quite a few. If I leave a beta for a while, many software websites start linking to that beta, even majorgeeks and softpedia. It's not really because of the traffic. I don't like to click a link just to get an error message, and I suspect most people neither.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yea I don't much like it either. I click the link to get what's there not to find out something isn't there. I can see you trying to keep that from happening. What if you did a custom 404 or 301 to a scripted page with a referrer redirect? I think that would work..... Maybe....
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

The problem was precisely the 301 (moved permanently). I didn't know the browsers memorized those redirects. But they do, so the redirect is made by the server side only once. After the first redirect, the browser will always redirect itself, until told otherwise. Makes sense, but screwed up my method. I just need to use a different redirect next time.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I could look but I think you can do a custom 301 maybe you could work with that. Use the referrer as a reference to where you want people to go. I know you can do that with a 404, I'm just not sure about a 301.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I told you I didn't know for sure. Ya learn something new everyday. :)
Brink

Post by Brink »

You could use a 302 redirect. Then the browser won't cache it permanently. This does seem an odd place for such discussions though. lol.

Hi FredClaus :)
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes, I think the 302 is the way to go. Thank you all for the help. As for the odd place for the discussion, blame the mod, he didn't say anything about it :).

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yea Bill it's your fault! :)

You should clean up the forums better. We all gotta have a lil fun huh?
Jim