Program Improvement Suggestions

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
stevmark61

Program Improvement Suggestions

Post by stevmark61 »

Anyway of canceling "Reboot PC" option after the Script has started ?

( I was in the middle of a VOIP call and couldn't prevent the Reboot )
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Program Improvement Suggestions

Post by Fred »

Well, in that case you should have removed the <Reboot> command from the script. It would allow you to manually reboot when you wish.

I thought about adding a button to stop the execution of the script, but it's not recommended.

Just choose carefully the commands you want to execute before clicking Run / Fix listed.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
elohelomg

Post by elohelomg »

I have a few suggestions. As one who cleans malware very frequently, I can't tell you how useful this software is. Believe me when I say it will become very popular, very quick.

Some adjustments that I'd make (or at least advise), is adding a 3rd scanner. Kaspersky virus removal tool (link http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/av ... 11?level=2 ) would be a fine addition, though it is a slightly large file (it can be turned off, or not downloaded to scan with).

Also, all the new threats that I encounter, upon removal, mess up the file association (.exe in particular), so having a fix for that right after the scan would be very beneficial. *Just saw the script things at the bottom of a scan.* You guys are good. ;)

Another suggestion, which can prove to be very helpful is a "save settings" feature (which I was not able to find if there is one) for the portable version. It would be much easier for users to save their settings and take their app where every they need to, and not readjust the settings.

So far, those are the suggestions I can make. Haven't had time to give it a full on whirl.

In any case, thanks for this wonderful tool!

Didn't know if i should post here, or start a new topic. Apologizes.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi elohelomg, welcome to the forums and thanks for your suggestions.
Didn't know if i should post here, or start a new topic. Apologizes.
No need to apologize. You can post wherever you want. :)

The kaspersky virus removal tool was my first option , but then I replaced it by HitmanPro, because of the large download. However, UVK has a link to the Kaspersky utilities in the welcome screen, where you may download the tool. Maybe I'll add it to the Automatic Anti-malware scans in a future version.

Repairing the file extensions is already part of the repair script options (the script that will be run after the third party scans).

What do you mean by "Save settings feature"? Which settings would be saved? If you're talking about the third party scans settings, maybe you could take a look at the custom commands for UVK scripts section. You can create scripts to do most everything with UVK, including the third party scans and run all the fixes.

You can place the script in the same folder as the UVK portable file and then run it. You'd still have to run uvk portable once before to install UVK in the system and create the .uvk file association, though.
Attachments
RScriptOptions.jpg
RScriptOptions.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 16226 times
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
elohelomg

Post by elohelomg »

I was playing with the custom command lines yesterday, and most of what i said went out the window. xD

However, I still think that having the Kaspersky Virus Removal tool would be of big help. Heck, you can even put the scanner in the command lines only, and walla.

What I meant by saving the settings, no longer applies by how I meant it, but I do have one more suggestion.Lets assume one is running the portable version, and their custom command line script is in the same folder as the app, it would be cool if would show up where the default scripts are, or, if one can save the scripts and have it always be there.

It would make the automated process much, much easier.

Thanks Again
elohelomg

Post by elohelomg »

Another question, if i may.

When running the portable version, why does the program actually install itself on the computer? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being portable?

I dont mean to be rude, just wondering is all.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, UVK needs to be installed to work properly.

Think of this: How could it perform the "After reboot tasks" like deleting or replacing a file on reboot if the portable package uninstalled the program upon closing?

Have a happy new year! :)

Fred
elohelomg

Post by elohelomg »

Any updates on incorporating kaspersky virus removal tool into the scanners?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes. I'm working on it.

You see, I had to hurry up with the last two updates because I found some critical bugs in the code.

I have so many ideas for the next update. It will probably take a while, but it will be amazing!

Fred
Prorootect

Post by Prorootect »

ZOU1 on MalwareTips.com wrote:
'I torched SAS recently. It is overrated. In my opinion, HitMan Pro and MBAM are all you need for on-demand scans.'
Here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-14troy14- ... 4#pid12184
Fred, I think the same, and since very long time.

Then Avast doesn't indispensable, I think.

Could you add SpyDllRemover: on SecurityXploded.com: http://securityxploded.com/spydllremover.php
- that I know well since long time, it's quick and safe.

Then could you add aswMBR last version 0.99 ( - is the rootkit scanner that scans for TDL4/3, MBRoot (Sinowal), Whistler and other rootkits), by Gmer: http://public.avast.com/~gmerek/aswMBR.htm
W.XPSP2, 13proc., 17serv.; IE8 sandboxed (and tweaked: NO downloads, plugins ..). I'm on MalwareTips.com forums somewhere, sorry ..
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Guys, I want you all to know that I very grateful for your suggestions, but I don't think other tools would find anything the already integrated tools wouldn't.

The number of infections found by each tool obviously depends on which one is ran first.

Removing SAS and replace it with the Kaspersky Virus Removal (KVR) tool is probably a good idea, but we must keep in mind that UVK doesn't delete the Firefox, Chrome and Opera cookies Hitman Pro finds, and SAS is very effective deleting cookies for all browsers.

I think the large size of the KVR tool download is related to the virus signatures database size, which means it's logical to think it may find some viruses the other tools don't.

I have to sleep on these thoughts and decide which is the best option.

Thanks again you all.

Fred
elohelomg

Post by elohelomg »

I have to disagree, with all due respect. While sas has been lacking lately (i sadly must admit this), having a so to say "back up" scanner would very beatifically. Particularly if it can only be run by a script (that way, people wont have to manually disable it if the file is to large for their needs). Thing is, is usually when i scan for malware, i usually run sas, mbam, and kvr (too lazy to type them out xD), and in any case, another scanner wont do any harm.

It is ultimately your software, and you may do as you please. Just some advice, for what ever its worth.

Also, cant wait to see the updated version.
Prorootect

Post by Prorootect »

Would it be possible to put an little button on the Welcome screen to 'Free physical memory' facility, please? .. 8-)

Then (quote from my precedent post, sorry!):
'Could you add SpyDllRemover: on SecurityXploded.com: http://securityxploded.com/spydllremover.php

Then could you add aswMBR last version ( - is the rootkit scanner that scans for TDL4/3, MBRoot (Sinowal), Whistler and other rootkits), by Gmer: http://public.avast.com/~gmerek/aswMBR.htm '

- or MBRScan.exe .. by Eric_71 .. This would be cool.

Thank you Fred.
W.XPSP2, 13proc., 17serv.; IE8 sandboxed (and tweaked: NO downloads, plugins ..). I'm on MalwareTips.com forums somewhere, sorry ..
Prorootect

Post by Prorootect »

.. or put the 'Maintenance actions' at the top of UVK System Repair, please?.. Sorry for my questions ..
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hey George, sorry for the delay. For some reason, I wasn't following this forum anymore.

The selected fixes are executed from top to bottom, so I placed them in the order they should be executed.

For instance, the Shutdown computer and Reboot computer are the last fixes to be executed, obviously.

The same way, the maintenance actions are executed after the repair actions. Some repair fixes create lots of temp files, so this way they are cleaned up afterwards by the maintenance actions.

However, you can specify your own order if you run the fixes through a UVK script.

Best wishes.

Fred
sncndsjh

Post by sncndsjh »

I have downloaded these programs and I have found that they require me to fill in my credit card details, thess solutions are not free.
Prorootect wrote:ZOU1 on MalwareTips.com wrote:
'I torched SAS recently. It is overrated. In my opinion, HitMan Pro and MBAM are all you need for on-demand scans.'
Here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-14troy14- ... 4#pid12184
Fred, I think the same, and since very long time.

Then Avast doesn't indispensable, I think.

Could you add SpyDllRemover: on SecurityXploded.com: http://securityxploded.com/spydllremover.php

Then could you add aswMBR last version 0.99 ( - is the rootkit scanner that scans for TDL4/3, MBRoot (Sinowal), Whistler and other rootkits), by Gmer: http://public.avast.com/~gmerek/aswMBR.htm
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Of the ones mentioned, the only ones that really require a payment is Hitman Pro.

I am tied between it being really really good and totally useless. The main reason being, the author is so concerned about licensing that if the program cant connect to the server, it won't clean anything. Isn't that when you would want it most? I have actually transitioned from using it as a primary to using it after RogueKiller. After all, if it won't run when I really need it to, what good is it?

On a side note. This thread is REALLY old and should prolly be locked..... Hint Bill :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

This topic is lock since it’s very old. Please post Feature requests in the Feature requests section of the forum. Thanks! :)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes