New technician tool: PCData Back

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

New technician tool: PCData Back

Post by Fred »

Hi everyone. I'm writing this topic to introduce a new tool I made available today: PCData Back.

This new tool is based in UVK's Backup and recovery module, but I added some important features. The reason why I made it as a stand alone tool is that it is more productive because it has much less code lines, so it compiles faster when I need to test. All the new features will be added to UVK soon.

The most important feature added was the ability to restore data directly from an external hard drive, or even from Windows.old. This alone should make it a precious tool for technicians because it can save tons of time.
PCData Back is a professional backup & restore tool for Windows, which allows you to easily backup and restore user (and other) data. It has the impressive restoring ability to create the exact same user accounts and restore data directly from a different volume or from Windows.old, making this tool a great backup/restore solution for Windows reinstall, migration to SSD or bigger HDD, or simply to keep a safe backup copy of your data.
Enjoy!!
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Re: New technician tool: PCData Back

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred! Going have to try it out. :)

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

So it seems PCData Back's download link was pointing to SimplySync Backup's EXE all this time. Sorry about that. I just fixed the link and you may now download the tool. UVK also has PCData Back's functionality already.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fredclaus

Post by Fredclaus »

I used this yesterday on a recent wipe and reload of my personal laptop. Other forums are real big on promoting another developer's product called fabs Auto backup and I wonder if you've seen it in action?

How does your product differ from fabs, or is it basically the same thing? I know when I use fabs it shows me every folder and every thing that it's going to back up, and I can watch as it's backing up. Is there anything that you know of that fabs backs up that yours doesn't?

So far what I use a backup for I tell clients is documents, pictures, music, videos, and it also is to back up their desktop settings. Is that basically what yours does?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I've never used Fabs, but everyone says it's great and I don't doublt it. PC Data Back (the same as UVK's Backup and recovery module) restores nearly all user files, including the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, Video and Application data folders. That's enough for my own repairs. Unfortunately, for now it does not restore user registry settings. I guess that's one thing fabs probably does. At some point I will add that feature to my apps too.

Fred
Fredclaus

Post by Fredclaus »

I have an older copy of Fabs (I haven't purchased a new license in a few years). I can do documents, pictures, music, videos, desktop, downloads, wallpaper, Mozilla Firefox profile, and Google profiles. Outlook PST/OST files. Windows Address Book.

I can also do Word custom dictionaries, AutoCorrect entries, Screen Savers, Document templates, and Network places. I don't usually care about these things, though.

To be honest, I never noticed the one in UVK. Yesterday was the first time I used it, so when I need to restore the backup, I will let you know how it worked.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for letting me know about that, Fred. PC DAT Back restores all that, except for the Wallpaper, but that one is easy to add. I'm guessing the latest versions of Fabs restore many other things.

Fred
Fredclaus

Post by Fredclaus »

I haven't really checked on the latest version of fabs. Mine is 3 years old and to he took off the renewal license option, so now it's another $80 for a new license that would be 1 years worth of updates. I haven't quite found the need to renew that license yet. In the past however there were really no feature updates that were added with the new license.

Now that I know everything that your product does there really is no need to renew my fabs license.