Automatic anti-malware scans

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
leegoodman

Automatic anti-malware scans

Post by leegoodman »

Greetings!

I found your awesome software thanks to the article at Technibble.

I was reading the impressive features of your software. Looks like a winner in my book and I will certainly start using it to support others.

Here's my question:

"UVK Automatic anti-malware scans" in red letters it is noted that "Note: This section will be removed in the next release!"

As a PC tech company, this feature alone would be worth using your software. Could you clarify if 4.0 will be the last release to include this functionality?

I checked the forum and the site before posting...if I missed the explanation, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Lee
leegoodman

Re: Automatic anti-malware scans

Post by leegoodman »

This is a link to the noted page...
http://www.carifred.com/uvk/help/autoscans.htm
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Lee. Welcome to the forums.

Yes, the automatic third party scans will be removed in the next update.

I know that many users like this feature, but the authors of the third party tools don't.

They are making it harder to automate their tools every time they update. Last month, MBAM had changed the window title, which broke the automation.

Last week, SAS started to not allow UVK to download the portable tech edition (redirected to the free home edition). Automation broken. I fixed all that, but now it's hitmanPro. It's always making an update, then restarts the process which brakes the automation.

So I decided I will not spend my life updating UVK to the changes they make. Also, there were a couple of users who claimed UVK hosed their systems when using this section. I know it was the third party tools that made it, not UVK, and I don't want my software to be blamed for what the other tools do.

But that does'n mean you will no longer be able to do some semi automated scans with UVK.

In case you haven't noticed, UVK has a smart script parser which allows to perform all sorts of tasks like download files, run them with command line parameters, wait until the process closes to step to the next command, etc.

I will update the script collection with scripts that automate the scans, almost like the automatic scans section does.

So, the automated scans will still be available through UVK scripts.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
leegoodman

Post by leegoodman »

Thanks Fred for the welcome and the detailed response.

I own several licenses to both MBAM and SAS.

Your tool is designed to make life easier for us technicans/IT. Thank you!

SAS requires a tech license to use the portable version. Given your software wouldn't be used by the average consumer, I can see where these companies have a problem. I wouldn't mind buying a tech license for this purpose though. However, I also don't mind installing the full version for the client and leaving it on their computer for their personal use.

MBAM has always surprised me in not offering a technicians license. However, they have a lot to gain by having their software installed, and leaving it on their computer for their personal use.

Most of the time when I install the full version and leave it on the client computer for SAS or MBAM, the end user buys the software. In other words, they make more money from a full install and leaving it on the computer, then from a tech license.

So scripting wise, I would like the ability to download the full version, install it, scan, and have the option to leave it installed for the client.

Now I just need to apply for the MBAM and SAS resellers license! :)

Thanks for the consideration.
adetor

Post by adetor »

High Fred Just purchased your tool. Excellent Job!!
I'm also a user of D7. I don't know if I'm being to upfront or not but, I see you've had a problem with Automatic scans, you might want to check with Nick at foolishit.com and see how he gets around that problem?

When I purchased your tool I didn't realize that automatic scans with super. MB and HMP where eliminated! Until I visited your forum. Would like to see you work that out, since these are great tools to have at a click. Like Leegoodman had mentioned :
Fred wrote:Most of the time when I install the full version and leave it on the client computer for SAS or MBAM, the end user buys the software. In other words, they make more money from a full install and leaving it on the computer, then from a tech license.
You would think this would motivate the makers of these tools!

Thanks for a great tool
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi adetor, welcome.

Thanks for buying the license. I'm not sure of how D7 automates MBAM or SAS, but I'm assuming it doesn't automate any clicks nor does it send any keys.

Thus if it just downloads and runs the tools with command line parameters, then you can easily do the same with a UVK script.

Take a look at the script collection for some useful examples.

You can even download and run the real SAS portable tech edition using the <UpdateSoftware> command. However, you must be aware that that version requires a license.

It's very easy to learn to make UVK scripts and they allow you to do many extra stuff, not just download and run third party tools. You can do most everything you want, run any of the builtin fixes, or even integrate regedit or cmd batch code.

Unless I'm wrong, and Nick is using illegal automation methods, you will see that you can achieve much more with a UVK script than with the D7 automation.

Take a look at the script reference, or search the forum for some more useful examples.

The new beta even allows to backup, restore and defrag the registry from within a UVK script.

I know the automatic antimalware scans were very useful, but I was breaking the tools Eula's. Because of that UVK has been blacklisted bybleepingcomputer. The forum helpers there had started to use UVK, which was a very good advertizing, and they were forbiden to do so by Lawrence, the admin.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred