C++ build - Almost there

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

C++ build - Almost there

Post by Fred »

About one year of work..

In this new build, the System Immunization section (including Execute prevent) and the System repair sections are already working, but you can not send reports to email address and FTP server yet, because that section is not ready yet.

This is the final file layout, you should remove all previous files and work only with the files provided in this zip.

The C++ build will also be provided as a zip file. The file to run is UVK_en.exe, for both 64 and 32-bit architectures.

As always, any feedback is appreciated.

Download here
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Re: C++ build - Almost there

Post by Xander »

Loads up VERY quickly.

One note - I dropped my existing UVKSR file into its folder and all my custom fixes were there but none of the checks after them (Reset Actions and after) were there. Does the new version read that file differently? Rechecking isn't a big deal overall; just wondering.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks Xander. If it loads a UVKSR file, it should obviously load the items check state. I'll check it out ASAP.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Ok, new update, same download URL. Fixed maaaany minor bugs, and improved the UI.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred I have not been testing the CPP version very much but I have been looking at them. Main reason I don't use it much is because it's still missing a lot of functionality like reporting and stuff. That's OK, your working on it, you can't do everything at once.

I just wanted to let you know I am looking at it but while you are still working I have a design suggestion.. I like that the new version fills up the window when you resize but the window stays the same no matter what window you are in. The System repair section looks really nice when it's larger but the main window kinda looks bad when it's the same size. There is only so much on the main window and it really spreads out.

My suggestion is, make the different sections remember their size so that we can customize each window to our liking. I would rather see it over all done than see this but I think this would be really nice in the future.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, that's kind of disappointing.

What you describe is exactly the current behavior, in the AutoIt version. But I don't like the window changing size each time the section changes. It took me alot of work to make the application automatically calculate the size and position of the controls according to the size of the parent window.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Does anyone else share the same opinion as Jim about the UI?

Fred
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Don't mind it,
It is super quick! love it.
If only you could make windows run faster.... ;)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

Can you describe better what you think I mean? I'm not sure we are on the same page and I will look at the auto it version better to compare.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, In the current AutoIt version, the UI can not be resized in many sections. Some of those are the Welcome screen, Delete files and folders, IT/Geek tools, System info, System immunization, System booster, Quick user manager. In these sections, the GUI has a fixed size of 750x550 px (client area) because the UI elements do not need to be resized or moved.

On the other hand, in sections that contain lists, the UI is resizable, and UVK remembers the size of the window. Some of those sections are the Process manager, the Memory modules manager, the Smart uninstaller and the Autoruns manager.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I will give you a better response later when I have time but for now, do these sections remember across installs or just in the current installation?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Only the current installation, of course, but they can be synced across installations and multiple machines through UVKSettings.ini or cloudsync.

Fred
Muhammad Tasneem

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

I have a wish since beginning regarding "Welcome Screen" button/link.

It is good if the "Welcome Screen" button/link is always the same size and on same location like start button in windows, this could be very helpful specially in tense envoirment.

In options:
Button - Right bottom, second last raw.

In System Booster, System Immunization, System Repair, Delete Files and Folders, Misc Tools, System Info: - different sizes!
Button - Right bottom, last raw, First column

In Scan and Create Log, Run Script, IT Geek Tools: - different sizes!
Button - Right bottom, last raw, second column

In Smart Uninstaller, Process Manager, Memory Modules manager, Autorun Manager, Service Manager, Alternate Stream Manager, Registry Seeker: - different sizes!
Button - Right Top, First raw, second column.

In Quick User Manager, Ultra Adware Killer:
Link - Right Top, second raw, First column.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Muhammad, may I ask why is it so important to you that the welcome screen button is always in the same place and has the same size? It's just a button, and some times we have to adjust some UI elements according the rest of the interface. For instance, how could I place the welcome screen exactly in the same place in the Process manager and in the System repair section?

Fred
Muhammad Tasneem

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

Believe me, The UI placement (buttons/icons) are very important for your quick response specially if you are stuck in production environment. Thats the reason windows 8 can't get the good response from customers. I remember after working with many years with win 95/98, many people (including me) going to desktop to open my computer but when windows XP comes it irritates that when we come to desktop there is no My Computer (I know we can enable it) and when we remember all icons/buttons with XP, Vista and seven, we shocked with windows 8/8.1 UI....

the other example is you can always find the menu bar on top of the application (file, edit, view, etc)......
these are just examples,

I know its not necessary for repair work but as I already told you in tough/production environment it is good if you find all your things in there places.

There are lots of possibility to fix the Welcome Screen but it is good if they are always on same positions.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Don't be disappointed. I know how much time it takes to makes that GUI expandable like that. I have a back ground in coding as well. I can tell by the way the controls move as you resize that you spent some quality time on it. What people that don't code don't understand is that you can literally wrote a a file back up program with options and scheduling before you get one screen of a GUI to resize right. I know that you did a lot of work on that and it looks very nice!

What I was wondering if you could do, at some point, I don't want to slow your release down any so I just wanted to suggest to you for some time later.
CPPUVK_Regular.png
CPPUVK_Regular.png (359.29 KiB) Viewed 22617 times
The main GUI looks like this and I really like it this way. There is no need to expand it as everything fits nicely in the space provided. However:
CPPUVK_Expanded.png
CPPUVK_Expanded.png (1006.32 KiB) Viewed 22617 times
Some people may like the look of this as it better fills up the screen and draws more attention, there is more space between the buttons etc so on.

Then we have the repair sections...
CPP_Repair_Regular.png
CPP_Repair_Regular.png (112.07 KiB) Viewed 22617 times
Some people probably like it like this and I'm not saying I don't like it but, given the options, I like the one below better.
CPP_Repair_Expanded.png
CPP_Repair_Expanded.png (155.31 KiB) Viewed 22617 times
This view opens the dialog up more and makes things easier to see for me. It doesn't feel as cluttered and I really like it compared to the "regular" version of it.

Now, having said that, what I was referring to was saving the window size for each adjustable window and each time the pogram is run, automatically adjust that section to the stored preferences. Hope that made things clear for you. Again, I understand how much goes in to resizing and I thing you did an awesome job at it.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Muhammad Tasneem wrote:Believe me, The UI placement (buttons/icons) are very important for your quick response specially if you are stuck in production environment. Thats the reason windows 8 can't get the good response from customers. I remember after working with many years with win 95/98, many people (including me) going to desktop to open my computer but when windows XP comes it irritates that when we come to desktop there is no My Computer (I know we can enable it) and when we remember all icons/buttons with XP, Vista and seven, we shocked with windows 8/8.1 UI....

the other example is you can always find the menu bar on top of the application (file, edit, view, etc)......
these are just examples,

I know its not necessary for repair work but as I already told you in tough/production environment it is good if you find all your things in there places.

There are lots of possibility to fix the Welcome Screen but it is good if they are always on same positions.
I'm not so sure dude. Short of putting a menu across the top of the windows, I'm just not sure how Fred would even accomplish that.... I never really thought "Welcome Screen" placement was that big a deal myself....
Jim

reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Sorry Fred but about the welcome screen I also prefer the way it is actually, I don't like the stretched ui with wasted space. But well that's not really a problem I'll just keep it the min size and won't maximize it, that's all.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, guys. I already have some ideas for the interface, I'll start applying changes tomorrow. Too bad I wasted so much time building it this way.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Awe Fred, Don't be that way.... You make me feel bad. All I really wanted you to do was make it remember window size. I know you had a lot of hard work in what you did so far and I don't want to change that, I think you did great job. I just don't want to have to resize the windows I want to resize every time I run the program :)
Jim