7.6 is Awesome!

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Brink

7.6 is Awesome!

Post by Brink »

7.6 is awesome. I was about to roll up the 7.6 beta as my production tool. Then I noticed 7.6 had been released as product. Nice job. All your hard work is appreciated. Thanks :D
Fred
Site Admin

Re: 7.6 is Awesome!

Post by Fred »

You're welcome, Brink.

I think some of you guys will like to know that I'm working with the VirusTotal folks to provide faster VirusTotal reporting response and a better user experience. New version update coming soon.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

That’s awesome Fred. 7.6 is a super upgrade for UVK. I also thank you. Everything seems to work great. :D

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yea I really like 7.6 also. It is a nice update. Companies do work with other companies in the same field pretty regular so maybe Fred can get a deal to allow UVK to upload a lot fast than it is currently allowed to. I'm sure Fred can work out a deal.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, the time to upload a file to VT depends on the file size and the upload speed of the network provider. I'm sure that, if you can upload at 20 Mbps, VirusTotal will support that speed.

Uploads through the VT API support file sizes up to 32 MB. Now if you have an upload speed of say, 2 Mbps, a 16 MB file would take 64 seconds to upload. Here's the formula:

Convert everything to KB
16 MB = 16384 KB (16 * 1024)

Internet speed is measured in bits per second, and file size in in bytes, so we have to divide by 8.
2 Mbps = 256 KB/s (2 * 1024 / 8)

So, upload time is 64 seconds (16384 / 256).

If you had a 4 Mbps upload speed, the time to upload would be only 32 seconds, obviously.

You guys can test internet upload speed at speedtest.net.

It is very important to be patient and don't disable file upload, not only because that way you'll be helping to enrich the VirusTotal database, but also because, once the file is scanned we'll have instant access to the report. Otherwise the file will remain unknown, and you'll never know whether it is a virus or not (at least until the file is scanned by VirusTotal).
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

I was under the impression that Virus Total worked from MD5 hashes and the only if the file has no hash in the database does it need to be uploaded. Am I wrong? I should be looking into that at Virus total instead of asking here.

But 7.6 is still awesome. I love it. UVK is the best tool I have. Thanks again. (not looking forward to paying a subscription though. I donate when I can. :))
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

That is correct, Brink. First we submit the hash. If the report of that hash is not found, the file is uploaded (if it is smaller than 32 MB).

Fred