Partial C++ UVK build

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

Partial C++ UVK build

Post by Fred »

Well, as you may know, I'm in the process of converting UVK_en.exe, which is currently coded in AutoIt, to C++. All other executables have already been converted, the last being Log analyzer.exe, only available as beta.

Not surprisingly, the task revealed itself quite long. I'm calculating 3 months for it to be complete, but it may take longer. In the meantime, UVK will only get critical updates. No need to code new features twice.

I've been working in the new project for about two weeks now, and I thought some of you may want to participate in improving the new C++ UVK by giving suggestions and reporting bugs.

So I uploaded a zip archive containing the essential 64-bit files. You guys can download it here:
http://www.carifred.com/uvk/uvk.zip
You just need to download the zip, extract it to a folder and run UVK_en.exe. This will not affect the files in your current UVK installation. I will update the zip as new features are added and report updates here.

Changes in the file architecture of the new application include:
Removed UVK.dll, the Pictures and Icons folders. All those were replaced with one single resource library file: uvkres.dll.

Currently only the following sections are functional:
Welcome screen, Process manager, Memory modules manager, Autorun manager and Service manager.

New features include:
  1. The main window is now resizable in all sections, including the welcome screen. It makes a nice effect the semi transparent buttons floating over the abstract background when resizing the window.
  2. All lists now have a "Search" feature and a Menu button, for touch screens.
  3. Progress indicator or the creation of the lists, with option to cancel.
  4. The lists remain visible and active while refreshing.
As always, I'm grateful for any feedback. UVK is what it is today thanks to all of you.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Re: Partial C++ UVK build

Post by Charger440 »

Fred, I think it's great that you are recoding UVK in C++. not only will it run faster now but it will truely be object oriented which will really improve the abilities of some features. It also opens the door to new things as well.

I never got in to C++, I programmed in VBS and VB and then transitioned to C#. So far what you have gotten done is pretty cool!

One thing I might add is since you are recoding the whole thing, now might be a good time to re-do the System repair section. It has so much more potential but there is only so much you can do with AutoIT.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred,

I downloaded it to check it out. Seems to load things up faster. :D

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

A brief feedback :
- It seems faster than the autoit version
- I like a lot the "cancel" addition to the creation of lists. (sometimes i click on a section and said myself "oh shit, i should have go into another one before" ... ut have to wait until the list is completed (that can be quite long on some machines)
- I could not see the effect while resizing on my windows 10 as it doesn't display the window while resizing

Anyway, nice work Fred, that's promising ! :D
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. You may not notice alot of speed improvement, as most stuff that needed speed was already done in C++, through UVK.dll. In fact, there ware even complete sections totally executed from the DLL, such as the Quick User Manager and Ultra Adware Killer.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Fred wrote:You may not notice alot of speed improvement, as most stuff that needed speed was already done in C++, through UVK.dll. In fact, there ware even complete sections totally executed from the DLL, such as the Quick User Manager and Ultra Adware Killer.
Maybe a placebo effect because we are used to use UVK on slow (old and/or infected) computers but I guess we all tested that new build on our own fast computers :D
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Will download this copy a bit later. Can't wait to try it now that everyone says it's faster.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

No placebo effect. I use my own laptop to play with it and figure things out. It’s defiantly faster. :D
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Love it so far. There will be a portable version as well correct?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Of course. I don't intend to change the way how the packages work.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Fred wrote:Of course. I don't intend to change the way how the packages work.
Would you happen to be adding a package with provisions for running under a pre-installation environment? Don't mean to hijack your thread but...

Chant: p.e. - p.e. - p.e. - p.e. - p.e.!

LOL :mrgreen:
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Brink.

I plan to make a similar tool for offline systems which will work on PE after I finish this development.

UVK is just not good for offline systems. Too many useless sections (Process manager, Memory modules manager, System info...).

Also, most of the sections and fixes need to be either changed or removed, so the best is to just make a lighter dedicated tool.

Once I have this C++ UVK ready, it will be easier to create such tool, because most of the code can be recycled from UVK's.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Fred