UVK and herdProtect

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
MCD IT

UVK and herdProtect

Post by MCD IT »

Just to let you know, I have just yesterday tested herdProtect on a very infected machine. I don't know if I got to the table late and everyone knows about herdProtect already, but it's main characteristic is that it scans alongside 68 other antiviruses to get the best detection.

It does seem to pick up a number of false positives so far, as it is in beta, but UVK seems to be one of those.

I thought I should let you know of this!

MCD IT

Re: UVK and herdProtect

Post by MCD IT »

I should add, it isn't just uvk_en.exe that it detects but several other things related to UVK!
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi MCD IT. Thanks for reporting.

Most of those AV companies have been contacted in the past. I asked them to white list UVK. Some of them answered the request, and did white list the application, but as soon as I make an update it comes back, so I gave up. The false positives are only on tools created in AutoIt.

http://www.herdprotect.com/signer-carif ... daaa2.aspx

I think HerdProtect should base the reports only on trusted AV programs, or they may have severe problems in the future.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
MCD IT

Post by MCD IT »

Though what seems to be good is that it also assembles a list of inconclusive detections below the more confident ones (the more certain detections are automatically checked). It wouldn't have been so bad if UVK had fallen into this category.

But I did find this:

So perhaps submitting a false detection to herdProtect themselves might help this.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

If you want to submit the false positive yourself, be my guest. I'm not going to waste any more time with them. Mostly because those reports are out of date. I just tested UVK in a Mcafee protected machine and it's not being detected.

Take a look at this:
http://www.herdprotect.com/signer-alfre ... f9663.aspx

After refusing dozens of propositions from adware companies to bundle my tools with adware, because I HATE adware, they tell everyone I'm a "primary distributor of adware type software". If I contact them one day, it will be to tell them to meet my lawyer. Crapware!
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Take a look at the latest VirusTotal report for uvk_en.exe (64 bits):
https://www.virustotal.com/file/65ea4ff ... 417813994/

Now tell me: Do you still trust this crapware?

Fred
MCD IT

Post by MCD IT »

I see what you mean. I had looked very quickly around their site to see if there happened to be a reporting page. I didn't find any, so I assumed that this would have to be by direct contact. With a bit of hoaking I have managed to find it now and have submitted a report for you.

I hope it isn't a piece of Mickey Mouse software as it sounds like a pretty good idea.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks MCD IT. Sorry for my nervous reaction earlier, but when I see that page, I just can't help it.

It is certainly a good idea, but they have to ensure to update the AV scanners on a daily basis, like VirusTotal.

For instance UVK is not currently being detected by Avast or AVG, but if you run it on a machine which has a one month outdated version of the AV software, it will probably be detected.

Fred
MCD IT

Post by MCD IT »

No worries, I'm sure it would be annoying!