Smart uninstaller won’t uninstall Java 8 update 25

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Smart uninstaller won’t uninstall Java 8 update 25

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

I was getting a Java error on an Windows 7 x 86 computer, so I decided to uninstall Java 8 update 25 using smart uninstaller and it acts as if it’s going to uninstall it but just disappears and doesn’t uninstall it.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Smart uninstaller won’t uninstall Java 8 update 25

Post by Fred »

Java uses the Windows installer (crappy) technology. The install registration must be corrupt. Try using forced uninstall, and then re-install from the System repair section.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

I uninstalled it using add remove programs and then reinstalled it using UVK. All is well again.

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill.

So, add/remove uninstalled it and UVK didn't?

I checked the uninstall command and found something weird: It is

MsiExec.exe /I{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F83218025F0}

It's weird, because the /i switch is used to install a product. To uninstall, the /x switch should be used.

I wonder if the add/remove programs applet changes the command...

UVK just runs the command as it is. I'll have to check that out.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

Just for the fun of it just tried to uninstall Java 8 update 25 (x86 & x64) on my own Windows 8.1 Pro computer and x64 acts like it’s going to uninstall it and doesn’t and x86 gives me the pop up in the pic below. Force uninstall did it though.

Bill
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (11.9 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill,

Your actually using Windows 8? I thought all Windows 8 was good for was coasters to sit your coffee on. :)

I do have the Tech preview of Windows 10 and from what I have used of it I like it. Boot up on a Core 2 duo with 4 GB ram takes about 20 - 25 seconds.. Wonder what it would do with a solid state?

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Charger440 wrote:Bill,

Boot up on a Core 2 duo with 4 GB ram takes about 20 - 25 seconds.. Wonder what it would do with a solid state?

Jim
That's pretty fast. But is it a real boot up, or a hibernation wake up? I'm saying this because, by default, on Windows 8.1, when you click the shut down option the machine doesn't actually shut down, it hibernates. To perform a real boot up we must use the restart option.

Now, if it wakes up, the more RAM you have, the longer it takes to boot, because Windows needs to copy the memory data from the HDD to the RAM.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Jim,

Windows 8/8.1 works great once you install “StartIsBack”. (http://startisback.com/) Once installed you can actually use the computer like Windows 7 or as Windows 8. Which I don’t very often except when someone calls and says they are using Windows 8/8.1 and need to know how to do something. As far as Windows 10, I haven’t looked into it to hard and really don’t have the urge to yet. Lately I’ve been thinking a bunch about how much simpler life was before we all had gadgets on our laps and in our pockets. Having the medical problems I do, I’m kind of wondering what’s really important to me, and the way the USA is heading and if I want to go on the downhill slid with everyone else or hunker down in the woods with my guns and fishing pole and hop off the train.

Bill