Found a bug(I think) in 6.8.1.1

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Found a bug(I think) in 6.8.1.1

Post by Charger440 »

I'm including a screen shot but when immunizing Main IE entries the internet options become unavailable (this prolly should happen) but it also changes the home page to "http:////" which should not happen.

Any one else notice this?

Also on Windows 8 the exporting of system info only goes down to the section just above the memory info for some reason.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Charger440

Re: Found a bug(I think) in 6.8.1.1

Post by Charger440 »

Crap! I didn't include the screen shot...
Attachments
Main IE settings
Main IE settings
UVK Bug.png (362.76 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim. It's working fine for me. Testing on Windows 8.1. Already tested on Windows 7.

Here's a screenshot of the internet options page when the recommended areas are immunized:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (27.18 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
And here's another one with no immunized areas:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (28.91 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Try this:

Un-immunize all areas.
Set up the desired home page in the Autorun manager. UVK 8.1+ allows you to setup a blank page or the new tab page as the start page.
Immunize the recommended areas again.

Let me know if it worked.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

FYI: I tested this on Windows 8.1, 7 and Vista and cant reproduce it.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, please check out if that pc has Super Antispyware preventing changes to the IE's home page.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

That’s a great question Fred. It wasn’t that long ago that SAS got me.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yeah, Bill. I remember it crossed my mind, when it happened to you, but then I couldn't find the option in SAS, so I didn't mention it. It happened to be the cause, so this time I didn't skip it. :).

How's your health doing?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks for asking Fred. I’m doing pretty well. I’m still pretty weak and attached to a wound vac that I’ll be with for a while. Having to have the same area cut open twice within a week was really hard on me. Overall I’m doing better and am healing up. I declare that I will make it given some time. :D
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hum, good. Guess what really matters is that you're still here and you're getting better, even if it takes some time. Take care.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL y'all just been chattin it up. Glad your feeling better Bill!

Fred the computer does not have SAS on it. I do not have that computer in the office anymore but heres is what happened. I immunized the recommended items and got the screen shot above so I took the immunization off and it again went Yahoo (Yea I know but she wanted it :) ) So, I immunized the recommended again and it again went to the screen shot above. So, then I started unchecking individual items and applying till something changed. What did the trick was not applying the Main IE settings. All other sections worked fine and this has not happened on any other computer I have worked on. If it comes up again I will try to get you more details. The computer was a windows 7 box.

The windows 8 box would not export the system info starting at the Memory section down. It showed all the info in the UVK window just fine, it just would not export the entire list to html.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks Jim. If you still have the System info html file, could you please PM it to me? Maybe reading the html code will help me figure it out.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Never mind. I just figured out the System info bug. I'll try to figure the home page one too, and upload a new beta soon.

Thanks for reporting.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Also figured out the IE home page bug. It was only happening if the user had no specific home page set up.

I've fixed bot bugs and I'll upload a new beta today.

Thanks again for reporting.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Hey Fred

When the above issue happened, I had set up a home page. I set it to Yahoo. Also when that issue happened there was a message at the bottom of the internet options saying that only an administrator could change the options and the home page option was grayed out so you could not do anything with it.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

The way I managed to reproduce the issue was by deleting the "Start Page" value under the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main" key, and then immunizing the recommended areas.

You can try it out yourself, you'll see the issue will happen.

To fix it, set up the desired start page in UVK's Autorun manager. You'll see the issue goes away.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

OK, I'll try that :)
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

OK, Fred

I did what you asked me to do to reproduce the issue. It is very similar to the issue I described but was not it. In the bug you asked me to do it does change the home page to "http:///" but the bug I had was if you picked immunize main you got the http:/// but if you removed the immunization it went back to www.yahoo.com like it's supposed to be. The bug you discovered here sets the home page to http:/// which is not the behavior of the bug I found....

If I run across it again I will get more detailed info on it and pass it along. It's possible the bug you found may fix the one I found even though the behavior is not the same.

Jim
Jim