Service Manager Terminates While Creating the Services List

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
kphilo

Service Manager Terminates While Creating the Services List

Post by kphilo »

Good Morning, Fred!

I'm supposed to be gone, but last minute emergencies being what they are.... I am leaving right after this post, so won't be able to provide extra info til about the 20th.

Verified UVK 8.1.0 is current version via option to check for updates.

Wanted to trace service WPFFontcache_v0400.exe as it is consuming lot of CPU. Every time I select Service Manager, it displays "Creating the Services...", the arrow rotates, and then UVK terminates without any warnings or messages. Everything else (that I've been into, processes, etc.) seems to be running fine. The termination is Very repeatable (100% on this machine). I've copied and pasted sections of System Info below. By the way, would it be very hard to allow the copy to take section names as well? i.e. "Basic Computer Info", "Video Adapters", etc. This may already be in the Reports section, but I've not used that much yet, so don't know.

**EDIT** Forgot to mention, UVK terminates in Windows Task Manager at the same time. SysInternals Process Explorer works ok. UVK terminates with or without WPFF... running or manually stopped. Don't have too much fun while I'm gone!

System Information:
Operating system | Microsoft Windows XP Professional X86 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Computer | Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dx2250 Microtower
PC Info | Name: **** Workgroup/Domain: ****
Motherboard | MSI 0A7C
Bios | Phoenix Technologies, LTD MS7297 1.08 08/22/2007

ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 | Driver version: 6.14.10.6641 VRAM: 256 MB Status: OK Resolution: 1152x864

Updates
Service state: | Enabled, Running
Notification level: | Automatic updates are disabled

Kaspersky Internet Security 14.0.0.4651.(h) - current & updated

Thanks for your help, and I'll Check in after I return.

KP
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Service Manager Terminates While Creating the Services L

Post by Fred »

Hi kphilo. Not sure of what to say. The service manager never crashed for me.

Would you mind to test in safe mode?

Thanks
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hello everybody,

Service manager is working great for me and has not crashed at all. I have not tried it on any XP machines, but have used it on Vista, 7, 8 & 8.1.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Bill. I checked out the code and found some bugs that could make the application crash in some situations, while performing the scans, or populating the lists.

I also found out that the Execute prevent feature was preventing skype update/install, if Common Application data is checked.

I'm gonna build a new beta and upload it today for you guys to test out. I feel we're getting close to have a bug free tool, finally.

Thanks again for helping me to make UVK better.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

kphilo, I uploaded the new beta. If you don't mind to test it out ans check out if the issue still occurs, it's appreciated.

Fred
kphilo

Post by kphilo »

Morning, All !

I'm late getting back, had to cut short vacation to attend funeral out of state....

Fred, I'll try to get to testing as quickly as possible. It may be a day or two since I am behind already. I'll test before update & after. This is a great tool & am glad I can contribute to its progress in some small way.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Welcome back kphilo!

No rush. I hope the crash is fixed now.

Fred