Repair windows store and metro apps fix not working and installing apps

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
whiggs

Repair windows store and metro apps fix not working and installing apps

Post by whiggs »

So I reboot into safe mode and when I try to run the above fix in safe mode on the Windows 10 creators update, it does nothing. It just skips right over it and says it completed successfully. I assume that this fix runs the powershell command:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Due to my past experience when troubleshooting the store and metro apps and because of how the repair task sequence behaves when I have run the command and it worked on previous builds. Assuming that it is the command that is run, it should not normally end immediately like that. When running the command manually, I see the error "The service cannot start in safe mode". It seems that in the windows 10 creators update, there is some service that is required for that command to run successfully that is not allowed in safe mode (I know I have been able to run it in safe mode in previous editions without issue). On this note, however, I would also like to make you aware of something that you may or may not be aware of. At least in Windows 10 safe mode, the windows installer service is not allowed in safe mode, so running any of the "install or upgrade" tasks in the repair task sequence automatically fails if it is done in safe mode. However, there is a way around it. I am not sure how the tool does it, but Tweaking.com's Technician toolbox has a utility which allows you to configure which services are allowed and not allowed to run in safe mode, and I have used it before to successfully permit the windows installer service to run in safe mode. IF you can figure out how it is able to do this and incorporate it into your tool, it would actually allow the upgrades/installations to work while in safe mode too. I will post back when I figure out which service is needed in order for the store apps fix command to succeed.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Repair windows store and metro apps fix not working and installing apps

Post by Fred »

I can add a registry tweak like "Enable Windows Installer service in safe mode" to the tools and tweaks section.

Thanks for reporting this.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred