Possible bug in windows 7

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
reggaemanu

Possible bug in windows 7

Post by reggaemanu »

Hi Fred,

Since last week (3 machines last week and 1 today), all machines on windows 7 where I run UVK won't boot anymore after I complete my usual uvk sr and I end up to reinstall the OS. Could it be caused by one of the fix I use ? (I used the uvk sr settings I sent to you yesterday).
the first two machines I though it was because of the infections but I start to think it could be UVK...

If someone as a clue about what is going on (uvk or not) I'll be glad :) never had this problem before one week (approximately).
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Possible bug in windows 7

Post by Fred »

Hi Manu. Thanks for the report.

I'll test your SR file on a Windows 7 machine ASAP to check this out. Just one question: Do you recall if those machines were 32 or 64-bit? Maybe both?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

3 of them were 64bits, I don't remember for sure for the other one but I think it was also 64bits
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Manu.

I had all the repair actions tested on a Windows 10 machine a couple of weeks ago and all went fine. I haven't changed any of he fixes ever since. I will now test them in a 64-bit VM and see what comes up. Keep in mind that the issue may also be caused by one of the third party tools.

https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid=ch ... lwarebytes
https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid=ch ... adwcleaner
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yea Manu, I asked Fred a very similar question about Windows 10.... Never did get a solution to it. All we know for sure is it does not appear that UVK it's self caused it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Charger440 wrote:Yea Manu, I asked Fred a very similar question about Windows 10.... Never did get a solution to it. All we know for sure is it does not appear that UVK it's self caused it.
Yeah I saw that, but I didn't encounter any problem on windows 10 for now with the same SR settings.
On the first two computers I though it was because of some malware/spyware/virus even it was weird but after 4 in a row that's worrying and I want to find out what is going on before the 5th :p

Of course I don't know if it is UVK but it's definitely something that I run from it (so ... some uvk fixes, or uak, or adwcleaner, or malwarebytes, or system booster). I'll also try to reproduce it in a vm tomorrow ...
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Manu

I was starting to feel that same way with Windows 10 and the repair reboot of death. The last system I rebooted several times before I ran UVK then after running UVK it wouldn't boot.

I feel you on that question, it's really weird.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Manu, I think I managed to identify the culprit. Did those machines blue screen during the boot?

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

After they didn't boot yes. A 0x0000004 (or maybe a "A", or "4C" or "4F" or something like that) error if I remember correctly.

Sorry I forgot to mention that but now that you talk about it at least too of the machines had that same error number
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, thanks, Manu.

The culprit is the Fix Subsystems key. It's actually caused by a small typo: An excessive quote. Impressive what a simple character can do.

I also noticed that Cleanup the registry and Cleanup junk files don't automatically close after the cleanup, so I'll fix that too, and then release an update.

In the meantime, just do not use the Fix Subsystems key fix, or, if you happen to use it, juts apply the Last known good config, and it will boot fine again.

Note: This bug was only happening on Windows 7.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Fred wrote:OK, thanks, Manu.

The culprit is the Fix Subsystems key. It's actually caused by a small typo: An excessive quote. Impressive what a simple character can do.

I also noticed that Cleanup the registry and Cleanup junk files don't automatically close after the cleanup, so I'll fix that too, and then release an update.

In the meantime, just do not use the Fix Subsystems key fix, or, if you happen to use it, juts apply the Last known good config, and it will boot fine again.

Note: This bug was only happening on Windows 7.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
No problem, glad to see that the culprit is identified !
I'll remove that from my SR settings for now :) Thanks.

(btw, on the 4 machines I had this issue, I couldn't restore any of the system restore points but I didn't test the "last known good config" as most of the time since vista it doesn't work I forgot about it -_-')
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Guys, I worked all day debugging the SR section. Fixed this topic's issue, the wrong description in the top tools, and also a few minor ones. I think it's much better now.

You can safely use the Fix Subsystems key fix. Sorry about that again.

Fred
ACS

Post by ACS »

I have had a similar problem with about 5 windows 7 machines last week. This could be unrelated but I do not think so.

I have determined that it is something in UVK as I ran my UVK SR script on them after restoring windows and the message reappeared.

Problem:
Windows could not connect to the group policy service.

Solution:
Back up the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > SvcHost
In this location it looks UVK changes the "GPSvsGroup" key to a "RG_SZ" instead of a "MULTI Value Key".
Delete the "GPSvsGroup" and add a "MULTI Value Key" named "GPSvsGroup" with a value of "GPSvc".
Reboot

This has worked for me. Obviously

Please let me know if this is not the problem as I will post a new thread.