Execute prevent

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Execute prevent

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Not sure if it's me or not but ever since you added cloud sync (which I love, it's awesome!), execute prevent seems to to default to Disabled. It never did that before that I can recall.

Am I missing something or is this actually a bug?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Execute prevent

Post by Fred »

You need to enable EP, setup the desired email and FTP settings, then go to Cloud sync and upload your settings (first Upload now button from the top).

That happens because you either never uploaded your settings, or when you did, EP was not setup.

You only need to do this once.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

For me, these directions do not work. Maybe I am still missing something.... Not sure what as I followed your directions
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Sorry, Jim, I was confusing Execute prevent with the Reporting feature.

I'll make it sync the Execute prevent custom paths for the next update. However, the Execute prevent enabled state will not be synced. This is obvious, as when you import the settings, the current Execute prevent applied paths are not changed.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred, still not sure we are on the danger page. Before you did the cloud sync, Everytime I opened ep on a computer it was preselected with the next to last item. Now it's always off unless i have set it on that computer before.

For example, I used to open ep then pick affected files and see if I needed to exempt anything. Now, I have to open ep, select the next to the bottom"on" option then pick affected files. It's an extra step I didn't user to have to do.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Oh, I see what you mean. I'll explain what happened.

UVK saves the EP settings in the "ExecutePreventFlag" value, under the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\UVK - Ultra virus killer\Immunization" key. The problem is that this value is deleted when you uninstall the application. So I'll just have to move it to a key that remains after uninstall. Not really a big deal.

In fact it has nothing to do with CloudSync. Your issue is related to a change I made by the same time I wrote CloudSync: The default selected option by default (when the "ExecutePreventFlag" value does not exist) used to be "Enable Execute Prevent for the Application data folders", and I changed it to "Disable Execute Prevent", because when the value does not exist, EP should normally be disabled. I just didn't think the value could be deleted while EP remains enabled. I'll fix that ASAP

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

So, if I understand you correctly, I will have to get used to checking EP for application folders when I first use it on a computer instead of the old default to application directory. I kinda got used to just clicking on the affected files button but if you intend to leave the way it is now that's OK, I can get used to it as long as it's not a bug :)

Kinda surprised no one else has mentioned it. Wonder if other people don't generally use it??
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill had the same issue, but I didn't realize what caused it back then.

I can put it back that way it was, but I think the correct way is to show the current state of execute prevent, which, the first time you use it in a machine is "Disabled".

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred if you think the best way is the way you have it now, that is fine, I can get used to it. You just introduced it the other way and I got used to it what way. I can see where the new way makes sense as it does reflect the current state. Don't change it on my account, like I said, you just kinda threw me off a little bit with the change, I though it was a bug but it's not.
Jim