Vista 32bit Issue

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Trajet

Vista 32bit Issue

Post by Trajet »

Trying to launch UVK on a Vista 32bit laptop, all goes well until the main body of UVK should be on screen. The program will be minimised to the task bar and no matter what I try it will not open.

This is the second time I have experienced this, the first time I did not report as the laptop was pretty knackard anyway and I put it down to that.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit. Using latest beta.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Vista 32bit Issue

Post by Fred »

Hi Trajet. Thanks for reporting this. Does the splash show up?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Trajet

Post by Trajet »

Hi Fred, Yes the splash screen shows up and then it minimises to the task bar. Right click to restore does nothing either.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, this should be fixed in the next update.

Thanks again, trajet.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Trajet

Post by Trajet »

Thanks Fred
Trajet

Post by Trajet »

Hi Fred, I had another vista 32 bit on the bench today. The minimizing issue is still there I'm afraid.
petertre

Post by petertre »

Is there a solution to this yet? I had the same problem today with a Vista 32 bit computer. My first attempt to use UVK for a customer. I am disappointed
:cry: .
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi guys. I haven't been able to reproduce this bug yet. Does this happen after the splash disappears?

Thanks again for reporting.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Hi there,

Sorry Fred usually I just read the forum and didn't took the time to present myself, (i'll do it properly later in the right section ;)) but maybe I can help here since I had experienced this bug on several computers.

Like Trajet said previously it seems that the program is minimized ... but in fact that's not the case: the window isn't drawn correctly (if you move your cursor over the screen sometimes the buttons appears...or partially appears, like a refresh problem).

On some computers UVK worked correctly and I was able to start my cleanup procedure but at some point after a restart it didn't want to draw the window anymore (not sure but I think I have updated all drivers before to restart), on some others computers it didn't want to work from the beginning.

On every computer where I had this problem I was able to work with UVK in safe mode.

It seems to me like an incompatibility with a video driver (If you need it I can tell you tomorrow in the morning what video driver is in use on the last computer where I had the problem since I still have it at my workshop). I can also do some tests on it if you need...

Hope that can help :)
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the info, reggaemanu. I'm beginning to suspect this is an AutoIt related bug. Can one of you guys tell if the issue happens with C++ tools (Ultra Adware Killer standalone, Quick User Manager standalone)?

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I'll test tomorrow and report it
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks. If you can also test if launching UVK by double-clicking a UVKSR file or a UVK script produces the same result, it's appreciated.

Fred
Trajet

Post by Trajet »

Ultra Adware Killer standalone works OK, Quick User Manager standalone is OK too.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks. That reinforces the possibility of an AutoIt bug.

Your help here is very important, because I can't reproduce the issue, so I can only speculate.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Yep, just tested, standalone apps works fine, and if I launch UVK with an UVKSR file it works fine. If I launch just UVK, I don't see the window but the help tooltips appears when I move the cursor.
If I just disable windows aero all works fine ! (even when just launching UVK alone)
Trajet

Post by Trajet »

reggaemanu wrote:If I just disable windows aero all works fine !
Thanks for that tip, the vista 32 bits I have on the bench respond as normal when the aero is disabled.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

The vista 32bit issue is Aero related. The pictures below show standard desktop and Aero.
Attachments
20150709_125934-1024x768.jpg
20150709_125934-1024x768.jpg (205.71 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
20150709_125842-1024x768.jpg
20150709_125842-1024x768.jpg (237.51 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

That may explain why I can't reproduce it. The VIsta VM I test in has Aero disabled. This may help me to fix the bug.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Good news. I was finally able to reproduce this bug, and it seems to be fixed in the new beta 7.3.3.1.

I will release a new stable version as soon as this beta is debugged.

Thanks again you all for helping to detect and fix this bug.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I would test the beta but I currently do not have a Vista system. I would bet it's fixed though as Your pretty good at fixing the bugs :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"