Removing skype ads to save bandwidth

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

Removing skype ads to save bandwidth

Post by Fred »

I wanted to tell you guys about a method I've been using for customers that have (or may temporarily have) a limited / measured internet connections.

Because skype ads are constantly refreshing, and thus, using bandwidth, I just add a couple of lines to the hosts file in order to block them.

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1       apps.skype.com
  127.0.0.1       g.msn.com
Just in case someone is needing this...
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Re: Removing skype ads to save bandwidth

Post by Charger440 »

Good info Fred!!
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Brink

Post by Brink »

Been doing that for years. Never thought to share it though. Actually spybot S&D's "imunize" feature sets a ton of redirect to local directives in the hosts file. Your browser starts to slow down considerably after a few thousand entries though.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Not only the browsers slow down, Brink. Any program that accesses the internet. It's not good to set too many redirects in the hosts file.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I think Pi Hole works pretty well for blocking ads at the DNS level and it's cheap too
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"