Super Cold

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Super Cold

Post by wmmiller »

Last Thursday on 01/29/2019 it was as cold as I’ve ever experienced in my life time. My car tires literally had a flat spot on them when I took off and it took about a quarter mile before they became round again my cars thermometer said it was -40 below zero and then it went to just three dashes. I guess my car only goes to -40 below zero. :shock:

Bill

Edit: This was in northern Minnesota USA
20190131_064747 (Small).jpg
20190131_064747 (Small).jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
20190131_065058 (Small).jpg
20190131_065058 (Small).jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Super Cold

Post by Fred »

Wow, that's colder than inside my freezer. You probably spend a fortune to heat your home. And with those temperatures, how do you go out?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Re: Super Cold

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

Yes, heat bills get pretty high. Propane gas prices fluctuate often so it makes it hard to budget for winter but I’ve been here all my life and people just make it happen. One really has no choice unless you want to freeze. Before that day the coldest I’ve ever seen was -36 below zero.
As far as going outdoors, you really need to bundle yourself up in layers of clothing. It makes it hard to move around but it helps keep you warm. It’s your face, ears, hands and feet that normally get cold first.

People do die every year from freezing to death as well as falling thru the ice. The ice up here now it about 20 inches or more thick so it’s pretty safe but people sometimes make stupid mistakes miss calculating the cold and the ice and it cost them their life. This last cold snap was super dangerous and several people did die. In that kind of weather as well as snow storms, people need to help one another when it’s like that. When its cold and you see someone with a broken down car, you really need to help them. I know for myself, if I passed someone by that needed help and found out later they had frozen to death I would feel so bad and ashamed of myself. I guess that’s true for any emergency situation like that anywhere. Anyway, here’s to staying warm and dry. Have a super day! :)

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes