USM? Maybe?

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

USM? Maybe?

Post by Charger440 »

Fred has confirmed that he will make a system monitoring tool for us but there is NO TIME FRAME on it. He has several other things on his plate right now. I'm mainly starting this thread as a place to brain storm about what we would like Fred to do with it. There are other tools out there and some of us are already using them but then again there are other tool out there like UVK. We use UVK because we like it better and we like it's author better. So there are many factors in asking Fred to make when there are already tools available. I would like to start out with my thoughts on it.

Monitor AV software (Running and hopefully up to date)
CPU usage
Memory usuage
Hard drive usage and status
Blacklist of apps installed
Monitor network printers and shares for connectivity
Routers (Not sure about this as it wouldn't help much I don't think)
Monitor temp files and junk files

I think it would be good to email any of these warnings for now.

I can think of more advanced stuff but it's good to get the basics down first.

Again this thread is not to pressure Fred, it's for us to brain storm and give him a good place to start WHEN HE GETS TO IT :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
FredJClaus

Re: USM? Maybe?

Post by FredJClaus »

I'd like to be able to monitor services such as print spooler. If a service were to stop responding an alert can be sent and an option to restart could be initiated.

I also like automation. Instead of creating a scheduled task on each machine we could use this monitor software to set up automatic cleanings using UVK for us.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I also expect to see this as a yearly fee and not one time price. That is the best way to do it.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Are we talking about a program that would run in the background?
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yep sure are bill, possibly as a service.
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

It would be great for those of us who do MSP work
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

FredJClaus wrote:I also expect to see this as a yearly fee and not one time price. That is the best way to do it.

Keep in mind, I'm not speaking for Fred, this just my opinion, UVK will be the last really functional utility that will be lifetime subscribed. I think he will still have that option on some of his stuff but it will be an option. If I am right, I don't blame him a bit, $50 for UVK is nothing, a man needs to make some money. Speaking of which.....
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

Email notification is great, but what if the network goes down? Your not getting alerts won't help you to know that some problem exists.

I propose a master slave setup. The slave would do the monitoring and the master would run on another PC (nearest the tech) and periodically check the slave for status. Then if the network goes down and the slave becomes unreachable, you could also react to that.