Tech Tool Store

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wrc559

Tech Tool Store

Post by wrc559 »

I have attached an encrypted zip file with my current TTS tools list.

This should be kept between premium users for the purpose of improving the tools in the list and forwarding the ones we want incorporated into TTS to Fred.

I have encrypted the file for the purpose of not letting my hard work be shared to the community just yet. Once the tools have been completed with all auto setup/uninstall commands, perhaps they can be added to a public domain for the forum, less any EULA issued software.

Contact me for the password via PM,

I will update the file here weekly & If others can assist also, we can create a good archive of links for TTS.

WRC559
Attachments
tts_tools.zip
(92.48 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Charger440

Re: Tech Tool Store

Post by Charger440 »

I will look at this later and pm you for the password or you can just go ahead and pm me, which ever you like. I like your and want to have a look at it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Not sure exactly where the blame lies here but in that list I see a LOT of x86 and x64.... To me this is redundant. The tool should be able to determine architecture and download/run accordingly. Sometimes it's hard to know if you have a 64 or 32 box. You could have a 1GB ram system running 64 bit because the OEM thought they would be cute and sell a pile of crap. On 3 GB machines it could easily go either way if you don't remember for sure which one it is then you gotta go look it up........

Of coarse I guess that would a good use for the UVK watermark.... help TTS determine which version to run :)
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

TTS already does that. That's what the Run only if 64-bit OS and Run only if 32-bit OS checkboxes are for. So you can select both and only the correct one is executed. As for the download, well, updating the file only takes a second if it is already updated.

This issue was already discussed in some other topic. If I had guessed you guys would complain this much about it I would have done it differently. The problem now is that I don't know how to change it without breaking what you already have.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, I figured out a way of making tools that support both 32 and 64-bit downloads without breaking any current configurations and scripts. Obviously the tool creation process will be a bit more complicated than it currently is. I'll post a screenshot here as soon as possible to see what you guys think
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Fred wrote:TTS already does that. That's what the Run only if 64-bit OS and Run only if 32-bit OS checkboxes are for. So you can select both and only the correct one is executed. As for the download, well, updating the file only takes a second if it is already updated.

This issue was already discussed in some other topic. If I had guessed you guys would complain this much about it I would have done it differently. The problem now is that I don't know how to change it without breaking what you already have.

I was not complaining Fred, It was only a suggestion. In my list of tools I have 86,64bit versions simply because you stated earlier, that the option to place 2 download links into the 1 name and have the program determine its version automatically wasn't an option. I think there much have been some misunderstanding here?
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Charger440 wrote:Not sure exactly where the blame lies here but in that list I see a LOT of x86 and x64.... To me this is redundant. The tool should be able to determine architecture and download/run accordingly. Sometimes it's hard to know if you have a 64 or 32 box. You could have a 1GB ram system running 64 bit because the OEM thought they would be cute and sell a pile of crap. On 3 GB machines it could easily go either way if you don't remember for sure which one it is then you gotta go look it up........

Of coarse I guess that would a good use for the UVK watermark.... help TTS determine which version to run :)
If you have any ability to recreate the tts.dat file and re-upload by all means, lets create a master file to share with fred in the end. We all want to assist fred at the end of the day, he did an awesome job creating these programs for us!
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

wrc, there's no misunderstanding. You'll see for yourself what I meant. I made TTS be able to create and run tools having both 32 and 64-bit downloads. Here's how it's working now, in an example that downloads and runs UAK, and automatically selects the correct 32 or 64-bit version:
edit_tool1.jpg
edit_tool1.jpg (107.27 KiB) Viewed 8925 times
edit_tool2.jpg
edit_tool2.jpg (72.11 KiB) Viewed 8925 times
edit_tool3.jpg
edit_tool3.jpg (71.47 KiB) Viewed 8925 times
So here's how it works:
1) Choose the download option. If you choose "Use Download 2 in case Download 1 fails", everything will work just like it used to.
2)Otherwise you will need to specify a download for 32-bit, and another one for 64.
3)You'll also have to specify a different file path for each download, otherwise the same file will be overwritten.
4)The Command 1 now also has selectors for 32 or 64-bit. You just need to set the correct one.
5)And finally, set the command 2 to run the 64-bit downloaded file, only if the OS is 64-bit.

When you use the Update selected option, both 32 and 64-bit files are downloaded, so you can update all the tools in your workshop. When you use the Update and run selected, or the Run selected option, only the file corresponding to the current OS arch is downloaded.

This is the simplest way I figured to add the functionality without breaking existing scripts. As you can see, it's more complicated than before, that is why I didn't want to use it since the beginning.

I'd like you guys to confirm that you want me to add this functionality, and also if you want me to make the 32/64 built-in tools work this way.

Fred
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

I must be running an outdated version.. -.-

I cannot view the same information layout you have :S
Attachments
no updates
no updates
techtools2.png (22.9 KiB) Viewed 8920 times
My Version
My Version
TechTools.png (31.09 KiB) Viewed 8920 times
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

wrc559 wrote:I must be running an outdated version.. -.-

I cannot view the same information layout you have :S
I see this is a too be released version.
If that is the case, then dang!> I can't wait!
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred, to me it just makes sense to download the bit of the OS automatically. After all, the point of having software is to make things easier (hopefully) :)

When I look down the list of tools it just looks like a lot of wasted real estate seeing
Some app 32 bit
Some app 64 bit

I'm always open to suggestion but I'm just not clear on why you don't really like this idea Fred? Is there something your thinking that we don't know?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I like the idea. My point is that some users may not.

As for "Downloading the bit of the OS automatically", that depends. You may want to download both files just to have them ready to run later. That's how TTS really works. The way it was previously set up, it was simple and intuitive. You could select both 64 and 32 bit tools, both would be updated, but only the one with the OS bit would be executed. Now it is a bit more complicated, and I'm just afraid that someone can come here and ask me to put it back the way it was. Not to mention that some saved selections may now be broken.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. If you both like it, maybe everyone else will. I'll keep working on this today.

Fred
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Fred wrote:I like the idea. My point is that some users may not.

As for "Downloading the bit of the OS automatically", that depends. You may want to download both files just to have them ready to run later. That's how TTS really works. The way it was previously set up, it was simple and intuitive. You could select both 64 and 32 bit tools, both would be updated, but only the one with the OS bit would be executed. Now it is a bit more complicated, and I'm just afraid that someone can come here and ask me to put it back the way it was. Not to mention that some saved selections may now be broken.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. If you both like it, maybe everyone else will. I'll keep working on this today.
I think this is how TTS should have been designed, reduce the clutter and get more done with as little effort as possible.
Bring on the updates Fred!
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Working on it...

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

What about compromising....

Have it download both versions but only run the correct bit for the current OS?
Would that work to suite both cases? That way it can be offline, it can run current bit and the list can be much cleaner and neater.

Just brain storming here......
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I have finished updating TTS with the new features mentioned here and some others, and released a new update. You guys can see the full list of updates in the TTS home page.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Looks good Fred.

I see you implemented my compromise idea on that. That's pretty cool!
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes, but while I was editing the tools, I figured there was still something missing: Some tools execute both 32 and 64-bit files when the OS is 64-bit. Those were the Java runtime environment and the Visual c++ runtime packages. So I added an extra option to always download both files regardless of the current OS. Maybe this should be "Download both files if the OS is 64-bit"? well, now it's done, not gonna change it.

Fred
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Cool update fred, cleaned up the software a lot!
when adding a new application is it possible for TTS to auto populate the run command location %techtools%\ or whatever the location is again, (forgot of memory)

It use to be there automatically when saving an application but now we need to type in this location followed by \name.exe
than run \name.exe

anyway, another question. Would it ever be possible to be able to move the applications around through drag and drop, or even move up location quicker, I find moving an application up 20 spaces through right click move up or down, to be tedious for lots of applications.

Alsoooooooooo,, Making new subheading. At the moment we have My Tools heading, Is it possible to add subheadings, such as additional anti virus tools, defag tools, (in my case) mac tools,

Just a question, so I could group up my tool into little areas instead of having a massive list of them all under the one heading.

Thanks for new update. works like a charm!
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi WRC.

I don't recall changing the pre-populated paths, but I'll check that out.

You can quickly move tools up/down with the following combination of keyboard keys:
CTRL+D to move down.
CTRL+U to move up.

Take a look at the right side of the context menu for more useful keyboard shortcuts. You can hold the keys pressed down, and the tool will quickly move up several places. I'll see if I can add drag and drop support anyway.

I'll also see if I can add sub heading support, but I can't promise anything. That seems like alot of work.

Fred