Back up programs

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Back up programs

Post by FredJClaus »

I know that UVK has a backup program built in but I have a client who's older and doesn't want a lot of bells and whistles that he can screw up his computer with.

1. Does the backup program in UVK come as a stand alone program?

2. If not can anyone suggest a backup program that works just like UVK? He has 14,000 songs on his computer and what he's looking for is a way to back them all up. In addition, when he adds new songs, he wants to be able to just run a program and it will find the new ones he added and take them without backing up the entire system again

Any suggestions? I was looking at Backup4Sure from the tool kit, has anyone tried it?
wmmiller

Re: Back up programs

Post by wmmiller »

I’ve been using “Memeo Backup Premium” for about four years. Its real time back up and seems to work pretty good. There are likely better solution but I bought it so I use it. It works really well for my wife. She’s Mrs. Picture taker to the max.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I use Fabs auto back up when I don't use uvk. They have a regular and pro version of it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I use Fabs Pro v6 as well but as far as I know that can’t be set up as real time back up.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Yea bill I don't think so either, I as thinking more simplicity. But as far as simplicity goes unstoppable copier works good.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Actually I just thought about... Try FBackup and see if that works for you. I use it sometimes for customers.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Unstoppable copier. I forgot about that. It sounds a lot like a challenge or a dare. :lol:
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Unstoppable copier? I'll take that challenge.

Thanks for the tips I've looked at them all, and I think FBackup is just what he's looking for. I will check it out fully before I call him up again.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill, once you get Unstoppable copier setup it's pretty easy to to use. You can use Windows task manager to automate it BUT, it's not really a back up tool so the fact that it works pretty well for that purpose is a feat in it's self :)

Fred J, to me, FBackup is a lot like carbonite for local backups :)
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

That's sort of what I want for him. Something that will back up his stuff periodically so that when he adds new music, he can be sure it's all backed up. The only thing I couldn't find was if he could set it to only back up the new stuff.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

FBackup does do incremental which is what you are looking for.
Jim

steve2189

Post by steve2189 »

FredJClaus wrote:In addition, when he adds new songs, he wants to be able to just run a program and it will find the new ones he added and take them without backing up the entire system again
A traditional backup program does full backups, incrementals, differentials, and file versioning - which can be complicated for an end user to understand.

A simpler backup strategy is to keep just one copy of the files using a file synchronization program. I use FreeFileSync, which is very good.

You don't say which version of Windows you are using. If you are on Windows 8 the built in File History is very simple for a user to setup and run - you don't need to look for a 3rd party backup solution when the built-in backup is adequate.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Steve

I will have to look at file history and see. It might be kinda cool and I always want to know about new things.

On FBackup the default in incremental so I all you have to do is define a source, destination and schedule then your done. For his needs it couldn't get much simpler. However, if File history works good that might be the better way :)
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

FredJClaus wrote:I know that UVK has a backup program built in
It does? Where?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

It's in the options or tech tools, I forget which for sure. Don't think it's options....
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander, in the "IT/Geek tools" section, there's an area named "Backup user profiles".
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Ah, yes. I have seen that but, I guess because I use Fabs, I must have disregarded it. I haven't really used that page since I can get just about everything else done in either the Run Scripts or SR pages.

Now, if there was a <BackupUserProfle> command, that could be quite handy in Maintenance scripts as a pre-repair move.
Brink

Post by Brink »

Robocopy via batch file works great for me.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hey Brink, have you tried UVK's profile backup feature? Don't you like it?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Hi Fred, I cant say enough good things about UVK. The profile backup feature works great for backing profiles and files that exist under them. Not all users keep music in the music folder under their profile though. This is especially true if there are multiple accounts on a machine and they all want to access the music. In all fairness to you though, Fred J did not specify where the music was located. He did ask about whether UVKs backup feature was available as a stand alone program though. I thought: "Why would you need a stand alone backup with something as powerful as robocopy already built into windows".