Download Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Download Windows 10

Post by wmmiller »

I found this if anyone is interested. :)

Bill

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Xander

Re: Download Windows 10

Post by Xander »

Already upgraded this afternoon. Forgot it was today so spend half the day backing up.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Nice one Bill!!

Xander, is this the upgrade version that is free? From what I can tell it is but since you have done it I wanted to check and see.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yes it is. It gives you the choice to create an ISO, USB or upgrade the computer your running it on. I'm making the ISO's now then I will try the upgrade. I'm going to try to start the upgrade and then go to bed.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I figured they would have an offline updater for windows 10 but had not found it yet... You did good Bill, if it really updates for free like it's supposed too :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I'm going to set to update right now and go to bed. I'll let you know what happened in the morning.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

10/4 Good buddy :) Have a good night Bill
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

This is great, Bill. Thanks.

This allows us to create install media for all Windows 10 versions, so we can easily re-install Windows 10 in any PC, in the future. I really hope Microsoft keeps making good stuff like this. Did they finally gained good sense? LOL
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Upgrade went fine. I need to mess with it now and see how everything works. I did install “StartIsBack” for Windows 10 so the start button is the way I like it.

Did they finally gain good sense? Maybe. :lol:
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I have been using the tech preview and I kinda like the start menu in 10.

Glad to hear that it working good and activated.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

My upgrade took about an hour. DL'd it as an ISO for future use but I had Win8Pro so now have Win10Pro which means I may have to DL Win10Home at some point. The new start menu is just fine as it is. My PC was set as Canada so Cortana wouldn't work at all until I reset it to the US and, even then, the "Hey Cortana" bit still says there's a setting wrong. I probably won't even use it and might turn the search off of the taskbar altogether.

Also found a few spots where, in a Settings panel, you go to click on something that would call up a RunDll32 aspect (e.g. rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,Advanced,@Advanced) - it gives me a "cannot access" error when clicking the built-in link but I can call up the file itself (as in the example) without problem. Probably a permissions error but, on a completely fresh upgrade, that's not very impressive.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Did you upgrade or format and reinstall? There is a huge difference in the methods. I have never liked in place upgrades. I always format and reinstall. Usually wipe out partitions and repartition as well.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I upgraded mostly to check it out. I will likely do a clean install in the future. It seems to boot kind of slow. :o
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I did a clean install of Windows 10 and Office 2013. It seems to boot faster than when I just upgrade but it’s still not a barn burner on startup but seems to work great once it's all loaded up. 8-)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

It took 3 hours to upgrade my Dell 2n1 tablet. I have not done a clean install yet so not sure how that goes.
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Ok, what's everyone's verdict? I've read so many articles about "You may not want to upgrade after reading this." crap, now I want expert opinions. Do you think it's worth doing?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I have been using Windows 10 for 8 months...... the ONLY downside I see to it is you can not turn off updates. I think this actually feeds into Microsoft's plans for windows. There is some speculation that Windows 10 will be the last "Version" of Windows. There is talk that starting with Windows 10 they are going to make a unified windows in which versioning is no longer necessary. For example, in a few years when you get windows it will down load what ever is current at that time and the computer will continually update as it goes along.

This will cut down on programming issues across versions of windows, it will also cut down on support cost and learning as all windows will then be the same. of coarse though, this means a subscription based windows is likely to be what this is. Let's face it though, Microsoft has to do something to stay alive and this would be their effort in doing so. Their phone market sux, the profit margin on Xbox is not that high, the main stream PC is a dieing breed. Not that PCs will up and disappear tomorrow but we no longer need them like we used to. Our phones and tablets can do most anything a computer can do. House holds will still have computers and business will still have computer. As long as there is IT there will always be servers but Microsoft is hurting to find a place in the world they used to dominate.

Bet you wasn't planning to read all that was you??
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Not really Jim, but it's helpful information.
mickybee

Post by mickybee »

Thank you wmmiller this was very helpful

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10

just what i was looking for :D
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I have done several Windows 10 upgrades and they have all gone well except for an HP with a wifi Issue and an Alienware with a Core i7 in it.
Jim