Linux

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Linux

Post by Charger440 »

Do any of you run Linux on your own computers? If so, what flavor do you prefer? Do you support Linux for customers?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
steve2189

Re: Linux

Post by steve2189 »

I run Linux on my main computer, and have done for a long time.
I use Fedora Workstation. I wouldn't say it is definitely 'the best' flavour of Linux, it is just the one I am familiar with.
I recently setup another machine with Fedora Server to run MythTV, to record TV shows. It's working very nicely and it lets you watch TV over the network on your computer.

I don't support any Linux customers.
Xander

Post by Xander »

I run Ubuntu on the mobo screwed to the underside of my workbench for data recovery.

In 14 years, I've had one phone call with a Linux question.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I don't right now but I was thinking about setting up a media center with one of my old XP laptops. I would run Ubuntu if I opt to do it. Would like to hear what everyone else says.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

On most of my computers Desktop and laptop I dual boot Linux Mint and windows. I actually prefer Linux but being in the repair business I have to stay up on Windows as much as possible.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred Claus, On that old XP box you might consider Linux lite. It works really well on older machines and it has the full GUI of a modern OS.
Jim