Link to home page.

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Link to home page.

Post by Charger440 »

What do you guys think about having UVK create a desktop link to your home page as part of it's clean up process. I know Fred worries about morals of things(It's good that some one does now days :) ). But this, if they don't like it, they can just delete it... nice and easy.

What do you all think about this idea? I thought about feature requesting but I wanted to see if there was any feed back on it first...
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Re: Link to home page.

Post by Xander »

You could do it by copying a shortcut from your %installsourcedir% to the common desktop.
Brink

Post by Brink »

I think thats probably a good idea and an easy addition. It would be cool if we could drop a custom icon into the UVK folder structure somewhere that it will use in the creation of the shortcut too. (I think thats what Xander was talking about.) One that is different or separate from the custom uvk icon. I know Fred is busy though. You could probably script that for us couldn't you Jim?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL Yea Brink, I could do it. I suppose a script wouldn't be much different than if UVK did it but I was thinking if it was an option and it was part of the uninstall process that we could just set it and forget it. That way all the machines we worked on would be "tattooed" but the user could easily remove it if they wanted.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

That’s not a bad idea. Most people I deal with have my support gateway on their computers so their computer is always available for a remote support connection. However, there are a few people I don’t know as well and to leave them a branded desktop icon to use to request remote support if they so choose would be a nice option. Like Jim said they could simply delete it if they want to.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, since everyone seems to want this, I'll have to do it, I guess.

Should UVK create the shortcut when the license is activated, on uninstall, or should this be an option in the "Options" section? Should it ask for confirmation before creating the shortcut?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL Fred, don't sound so happy about it :)

I think it should be an option you set and after its set, upon uninstall uvk checks for it and creates it if it don't already exist.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I think it should be an option as well.
Trajet

Post by Trajet »

How about a warranty type of icon. i.e. it has an adjustable timer so, for example, if you give a 30 day warranty on malware removal it would count done from 30 days to zero.

Or, if you had done some hardware repairs or upgrades you might want 365 days to zero.

It would be great for keeping customers and ourselves up to date with warranty claims.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I like the 30/30 guarantee. 30 feet or 30seconds, whichever comes first. ;)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Lol bill. I have a friend that likes the "see ya back" warranty. Soon as he sees your back the warranties up :)
Jim