UVKPortable

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
steve2189

UVKPortable

Post by steve2189 »

I have the branded version of UVK which I use on clients machines. I run UVKPortable.exe expecting it to be a portable (non-installed) app, but it installs itself, and uninstalls when you close it. Why does it do that?

(I looked through the main UVK 'info & download' page but did not see this explained)
Fred
Site Admin

Re: UVKPortable

Post by Fred »

Hello Steve.

UVKPortable was supposed to be provided in a zip file, but since UVK uses different files for 64 bit Windows than for 32 bit, I decided to build it into an executable package, which install the application without any prompts, and asks if you want it to be uninstalled when you close it. Otherwise I would have to create two zip files, one for x64, and another one for x86. Also the auto.update feature would be more complicated.

This way, it automatically extracts the correct files, depending on the Windows architecture, and also allows you to pass in command line switches, which will be deferred to the main application.

This has other advantages, such as being able to automatically update the package, and use of less HDD space.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
steve2189

Re: UVKPortable

Post by steve2189 »

Thanks for the explanation.