Windows gadget/windows time service

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Windows gadget/windows time service

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

Lately I have three computers that gadgets stopped working on. It seems the windows time service isn’t working but I’m not sure about that being the issue. Two of the computers are Windows 7 x64 one professional and one ultimate and the other is a Windows 8.1 professional x64. The gadgets say “Cannot connect to service”. I’ve been all over the internet and haven’t found a fix that actually fixes it. Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

Note: These computers are in two locations but use the same ISP. I haven’t checked today, (because I need to drive over there) but two or three days ago there was one computer running the weather gadget that was working fine while another computer in the same room on the same network was working fine. That is also a Windows 7 x64 computer.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Windows gadget/windows time service

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill.

Yeah, Microsoft is trying to kill the desktop gadgets since long ago. I made the "Fix Windows sidebar" fix restore the sidebar's functionality but some Windows updates are also deleting the sidebar's xml files.

Try the following:
Run the "Fix Windows sidebar" fix.
Copy the %Userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar folder from a pc whre the gadgets are working fine to a USB stick, and then copy it back to the computer where the gadgets are not working.

Save that that folder for the future. You'll need it.

I've also had a PC where the sfc scan fixed the issue.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred. I’m getting the feeling something has changed. I booted my Dell Inspiron 1018 mini that I use at the clinic that has hasn’t been started since Monday and as luck would have it the weather gadgets not working. It looks like I’m going to have to hunt for a computer its working on.

Bill

Note: On this computer at the clinic I’m connected thru the connection on my cell phone using PdaNet. By the way, it’s a nice program that works well.

PdaNet Link: http://www.junefabrics.com/
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

It seems that only the weather gadget isn’t working. The few others I’ve tried work ok. :o
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes, only those that needed the xml files don't work anymore. The Currency one is probably dead too.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred. It’s really not a huge deal although; I personally liked and used the weather gadget on my desktop. It’s the only gadget I ever used but I kind of like having a quick glance at the weather in the morning. I guess I always have my cell phone to use. It is going to make my dad sad to see it gone though. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Bill