Third party app feature

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Third party app feature

Post by wmmiller »

Hello Fred,
The third party app feature is awesome. :D I’m a little confused though. I would like to add some apps that will download from my FTP server and I’m just not sure how. It may be that I’ve taken to many stupid pills lately. If and when you have time if you could do a tutorial on this feature that would be so super. Thanks for your hard work on UVK.
Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Third party app feature

Post by Fred »

Can you please pm me a url of the file you want to download?

I think if you enter the normal url of the file you want to download, and uese the direct download method, it should work.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
I figured out how to download what I need with the information you gave me. Thanks! I do have a question though. I noticed that on a computer I have UVK installed on it creates a third party app folder, but on the USB drive I have it on it doesn’t create a third party app folder. Am I missing something? :? :oops:
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hello Fred,
I have a request. When I import a third party app/tool to download it will only let me download one at a time even though I have selected more than one. Can you make it download more than one at a time? I’m guessing that if I put them In a string it would work, although I haven’t tried, but I don’t always want to download the same group of apps/tools every time. I’m thinking out loud here. Thanks!

FYI: Here’s how I do things for remote support. I make my remote connection and then transfer UVK to the desktop in a zip file on the remote machine that when unzipped leaves behind a folder called Lake George Tech Repair Tool. As you can guess, in that folder is UVK. Once that folder exists, all my downloaded third party apps/tools download to that folder. Then I’m styling and ready to clean up. 8-)
Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hello Fred, (again) :roll:
This third party app business has really got my mind going. It’s an awesome addition to UVK. Now I’m thinking that maybe a better question would be. Do we need to import our custom app/tools every time like I’ve been doing or am I doing it wrong? If it’s the first, than would it be possible to make it so that there is a few spots in the custom third party app section that is always there like in the third party built in apps section that is customizable? Even just one spot could work as I could have it download my ketarin profile and then get anything extra I want or need that way.
Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. Wow, that's a lot of questions :).

Multiple simultaneous downloads is perfectly possible, but not implemented. Normally, UVK processes each app at once, meaning only one download is processed at a time.

As for the Third party folder, there's no reason why it should not be created. In my development folder, which is not in the system partition, it created it with no problem. I would like to know how you really have in that folder. The UVK's Install files, or one of the UVK's packages?

Having permanent apps is a good idea. I'll try to add that feature in the next release. Thanks.

For now, you can quickly import a uvksr file by double-clicking it.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
Sorry for so many question at once. The third party app feature has really made UVK the only program I need to transfer when doing remote support because now I can very easily download my Ketarin profile from my ftp server using UVK that has every tool and program I have in my tool arsenal.

As far a multiple downloads. It doesn’t really need to be simultaneous so much as I would like to just select several and it will just download them instead of one at a time. However, After more thought, if I’m going to use Ketarin It really doesn’t matter, but may be useful to others that don’t use ketarin. Of course unless I change how I do things in which case I may use it. What I’m doing now is creating a folder named third party apps in a folder named Lake George Tech Repair Tool on a USB drive and then my third party tools (Ketarin) Is downloaded to that folder and it (Ketarin) downloads what I select and puts them in the third party app folder and then I run what I need from that folder. I keep an updated copy of LGT repair tool folder copied from my USB drive on my desktop and create a self-extracting zip file and the zip file is what I transfer to the remote desktop. It’s only 4.83 MB zipped so it normally transfers very fast. It works out well as everything is in the Lake George Tech Repair Tool folder on the remote desktop and then when I’m done I just delete that folder and empty the recycle bin.

“As for the Third party folder, there's no reason why it should not be created” After reading your reply I did some investigating and I now understand what happens. When I run UVK portable is does indeed create that folder on the computer its being run on and then when I tell it to uninstall when I’m done it deletes it as it should. I guess I was thinking that it would leave the third party app folder behind on the USB drive because when UVK is actually installed on the computer and not uninstalled it stays. It all makes perfect sense now. I lost my head for a moment. :lol:
Thanks for the fast reply.

Here’s a screen shot of what’s in my LGT repair tool folder on my USB drive:
Attachments
LGT Repair Tool.PNG
LGT Repair Tool.PNG (18.68 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I'm not sure of what you mean by "It doesn’t really need to be simultaneous so much as I would like to just select several and it will just download them instead of one at a time".

You can perfectly download several files if you create an app for each file you download. Those apps don't really have to run anything, if you just want to update your tool arsenal. You can even replace your ketarin file with apps that do the same thing.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

And now that I look at your picture, I see 3 uvksr files. Whydon't you join the apps within the 3 files in just one file? That way you just have to select the apps you need when you run it.

See the examples in the System repair help page for more info.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

You know what Fred? I think you’re just too damn smart for me. :ugeek: I’m doing it all wrong. :roll: I’m heading out for the hospital for a tune up now, but I’ll try to get it right as soon as I have some time. Hopefully later today. I’m kind of feeling like a boob right about now. :oops: Ill study that over and see if I can’t pull my head out. :D One thing I like about you is the fact that you don’t just tell me when I’m being a dumb a&%. ;) I guess it’s true. A picture is worth a thousand words. Humm.
Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hello Fred,
I’ve now figured out what I missed. I didn’t understand that when an additional third party app was added that I could just keep adding to the uvksr file. I thought it was going to overwrite the last added app so I was giving it another name saving each app individually. That’s why you were seeing 3 uvksr files. Thanks for your help. :D
Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

In fact, once you click Add third party app, you don't even need to close the Add third party app window each time you create an app. Just edit the fields again, and click save. A new app is created each time you do this. However each app must have a unique name, obviously.

I wanted to tell you about a program I made a few days ago for another user that does remote repair too. It's a small program that downloads the latest UVK version and installs it along with the license key and logo. This way you don't have to update your zip in your server each time I update UVK. If you're interested, email me your key and logo, and I will make one for you too. Actually I just have to change a few lines. You won't have to pay anything. This is valid for other users that have a branding license and do remote support.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

That sounds like a good idea. Does it install UVK or is it downloading a portable version which I can tell to uninstall when finished?
Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Actually it's a very simple application.

Fist it checks if UVK is already installed and registered with your key.

If so, it just runs UVK. The auto update feature takes care of any updates needed.

Otherwise, it extracts your key and logo to a temporary folder, downloads UVKSetup.exe to the same folder, and installs it with the -silent command line switch, which only shows the install progress, branded with your name.

If you prefer that it downloads UVKPortable.exe instead, it's pretty straightforward.

The application deletes itself after it closes, to ensure no one else will be using it.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
I really doesn’t matter which version it installs or uses. Once again, I don’t think I really asked the correct question. It was the concern of a copy being left behind on the computer. So if it deletes itself that is just perfect. I would like to try it out. I’ve email my information. Thank you Fred. :D
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,
I wanted to come back here and publicly thank you for automating UVK for remote support use. The customized set up you have created for me is exactly what I envisioned and it works great. Thank you!
Bill
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Fred,

Is this still available? Is there a way to run UVK from my pc and not show the client what I'm doing?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred J

If I am not mistaken you can do it from a script using the /Auto tag when you define the script. I could be mistaken but in either case it would run from the customers computer. The /Auto tag just hides the GUI.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

FredJClaus wrote:Fred,

Is this still available? Is there a way to run UVK from my pc and not show the client what I'm doing?
FredJ, it is possible to run scripts and UVKSR files hidden. All you need to do is transfer the script to run to the remote computer and make your remote software run the following command:

For a UVK script:

Code: Select all

uvk_en.exe -ReadFile "Full path of the UVK script" -Auto
For a UVKSR file:

Code: Select all

uvk_en.exe -ImportSr "Full path of the UVKSR file" -Auto
Keep in mind that if your script or UVKSR file launch other applications, they will not be hidden.

Fred