UVK System Repair - Update Windows

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
SAMEtechAndy

UVK System Repair - Update Windows

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

Hello,

I am seeking clarification of the 'Update Windows' repair.

1. Does this also process Feature Updates that are available too? Would it be best to leave them out for a System Repair session?
2. I can see no evidence of it updating the 'Installed Update History', is that correct?
3. Would it be better just to launch the Windows Update GUI, to give the operator more of a feel for what is available and choose which to complete?

I'm feeling I don't know what it is updating when in progress and can't find the confidence to use it on clients devices yet.

I'd like to hear your views on this part of the repair process and what others do or prefer. Also wondering in the case of Windows 10 whether it is best left to Windows to handle.

Thanks
Andy
Fred
Site Admin

Re: UVK System Repair - Update Windows

Post by Fred »

Hi Andy.

The Update Windows fix is intended for those who want to install all available windows updates in an unattended mode. Users who need more functionality should use the built-in Windows updater, of course.

This feature uses the IUpdateSearcher interface. The search criteria is IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software' and IsHidden=0. This means it searches for non hidden software updates that are not installed yet.

Because the feature uses a Windows COM interface, the installed updates should be displayed in the WU history, but I confess I'll have to confirm that. I can make UVK write the result of each update to the log, though.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I have to be honest, in windows 10, the update process is so streamlined that I just use that. On Windows 7 I use the windows update tool occasionally but I really don't get many Windows 7 machines anymore.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
SAMEtechAndy

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

Thanks Fred and Jim,

I'm clearer now. I can't find the 1 update in history that it performed for me yesterday on my test machine here. Logging the updates makes sense to me, as long as that is considered useful all round.

Andy