Stop Edge Browser from Restoring Tabs after a Crash

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Stop Edge Browser from Restoring Tabs after a Crash

Post by wmmiller »

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of a good way to stop Microsoft edge from restoring tab after a crash? I found this https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/edge ... ab-restore but people are saying that this doesn’t work anymore with Windows 10 version 1703. I’m not finding anything that is currant. I’m running Windows 10 Professional 64bit version 1703 OS Build 15036.850.

Thanks, Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Stop Edge Browser from Restoring Tabs after a Crash

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. I'm going to do some research. If anyone else knows how to do this please tell, so I can add it as a quick fix to UVK. Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I think opening a local PDF or HTML file with MS Edge and then closing it should solve the looping crash. That's because the pages of remaining tabs will not be loaded until you switch to their tabs. That's what I've found so far.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

I saw that about opening a PDF file as well. For myself, I normally just reset edge. I was hoping to locate a fix that would just do it so I don’t have to explain to people that they need to open a PDF file. Half the time it’s one of those “your computer is infected” pages that makes people freak out because it keeps opening when they reopen Edge.

I may be a die hard, but up until about three weeks ago I have been using IE since it came out. I guess I have just been so used to it. Honestly, I don’t think Edge is anything great but I’m going to keep trying it out for now. It may just need to grow on me. I won’t rant on about Windows 10, but it seems every update jacks up something. I hate that! :evil:

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I know this could be considered a smart answer but my first question is why are we using Edge? With at least two capable browsers that do far more than Edge, there's no reason to use Edge or even suggest it to anyone.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hey Jim,

Ok, why install extra crap when what you need is right there. So, I should just tell people that IE and Edge sucks and they have to change or find someone else that will help them? No sir! That is not a solution?

I don’t know what browsers you are speaking of but I can tell you I think Google sucks! Not as bad as Apple but right up there. Hell, so does Windows 10 for that matter. I’m still wishing I had it in me to just cut the damn cord.

Bill
Xander

Post by Xander »

wmmiller wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:02 pmSo, I should just tell people that IE and Edge sucks and they have to change or find someone else that will help them?
Absolutely, and I do. NOBODY should be running IE (with the sole exception of corporate PCs like some of the banks I service). Our job as their techs is to make sure they are more secure than when they came to us and if that means pushing Chrome or Firefox on them, so be it. Edge is secure enough that I no longer push people on to the others but I always make sure every PC has two browsers in case one craps out and for diagnostic purposes ("Can you open that site in the other browser?")

Nobody who works in tech should be voluntarily using IE. Ever. That'd be like taking gun safety lessons from those guys who shoot themselves in the leg. A tech who doesn't actively discourage his clients from using IE is not doing his job right.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Apologies Jim. My reply was rude and snarky. I just don't give a crap anymore and someone else crapped in my corn flakes this morning. I think I will just go back to bed for a while.

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

I was wondering but I've never seen you do that before so I wasn't going to take it too hard. I hope whatever issue you had this morning is helped by your nap.

To answer your question though. I hate to say it but Xander is right. IE is a no, no. It has no protection built in, it's full of security holes and it's not industry standard like most other browsers are. It still supports NPAPI plugins which from a security stand point is a no, no and there is no official plug in system for it to improve security or features.

I also have to disagree with Zander on Edge. While it might be an imporoved version of IE (though it's not even based on IE), it has some spectacular problems of it's own. One such example is the fact that it's a non-installable Windows "app" and once it crashes (which is regularly) there is no fixing it from what I have found. The next issue with it the fact that Microsoft touts it as the "Fastest, most secure browser ever." If that were true, why does it take three clicks to change your browser in windows 10? If that were true they would just wait for people to realize that it really is fast and secure. Another thing to note is, while it is much better, Edge is still not standards compliant.

As far as Windows 10 goes, For the most part I think it's fairly solid. Although, they new Windows update system sucks and at times messes up computers more than it fixes.

Like Xander said, aside from corporate requirements, there is really no good reason to pick Edge or IE over Chrome or Firefox. If you don't like those you can even use Opera. Opera is a nice browser in it's own right.

Anyway Bill, I hope your nap help you and you are able to work through whatever is troubling you. Or, at the very least find peace in it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"