UVK: Empty all users temp folders - except Recycle Bin?

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
SAMEtechAndy

UVK: Empty all users temp folders - except Recycle Bin?

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

I have been avoiding using the <CleanAllUsersTemp> option in UVK for the reason that it empties the clients Recycle Bin, which I feel is not acceptable to do without their prior permission. It's also not convenient to have that conversation with them once the job is on the bench and underway, so I tend to point out to them on return if it is overly full and leave it to them to empty.

Would it be a consideration to provide a version of this command that does not touch the Recycle Bin?

I was also looking at the 'Run full disk cleanup' and 'Unattended disk cleanup' with the same question in mind. When I have tested these they don't appear to empty it at all, but is that because in my test case it is nearly empty?

Andy
Fred
Site Admin

Re: UVK: Empty all users temp folders - except Recycle Bin?

Post by Fred »

Hi Andy.

I will provide a new command named <EmptyTempFolders>, and also a new System Repair item named Empty temporary folders. They will both leave the recycle bin intact while performing the cleanup for all users.

As for Run full disk cleanup and Unattended disk cleanup I'm not sure, but I think in Run full disk cleanup, you can choose whether to empty the recycle bin. Unattended disk cleanup, on the other hand may automatically empty it if the free disk space is low.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I am all for customizing systems as much as possible.. However, for the sake of conversation, I wonder if you might elaborate on that thinking?

I consider the "recycle" bin to be the same as a trash or rubbish bin. I am personally not aware of anyone that keeps items in the recycle bin as a method of storing items but since you mention this issue, I wonder if maybe there is something I am missing in regard to the recycle bin.

Thanks for the new switches Fred, I'm sure people will find them handy.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I had two or three customers in ten years that were keeping things in the recycle bin! Well I still empty it anyway because it's pretty rare and they were completely silly :p
Nice to have the choice, if they tell me that I don't have to empty the recycle bin I can still use the other option
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, sometimes people think: I'll just put this file in the recycle bin and then decide whether to delete it or not.

But what happens in most cases is that many files are sent to the recycle bin in the meantime, and then it becomes too crowded to find anything there. But still, people don't empty it because of that file...

So, having the option not to empty the RB might be useful in some cases, and it's no big deal to add it.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
SAMEtechAndy

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

Jim,

You are right, of course. Maybe I'm too soft on my customers and should just empty the bin. My thinking is that I don't want to be accused of deleting customer data - however wrong they may be for leaving files in there just in case of need. I guess if they've only recently sent an item to the RB they have more cause to want it to remain there for a while.

I think I'd still like the option not to empty it, as is my current practice.

Andy
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Andy

I can understand that. I have a disclaimer on my drop off sheet stating I am not responsible for loss of data and that it is your sole responsibility to keep important things backed up in a safe place. Having said that, I do all that I can to reduce the possibility that i lose anyone's data.

Fred has or will add that ability to skip the recycle bin which I might consider using but most likely not. I am in favor of having options in software so long as the list of options isn't so crazy that you can't find options any more. I agree that this should be an option and like may of us here, you can take pride in knowing you had a part in making UVK a better product for all :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"