Nsis Error Launching Installer error

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Nsis Error Launching Installer error

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Guys,

Has anyone seen this error before? I don’t recall ever seeing it before. It just noticed it trying to install my remote support software update. (SimpleHelp). Just for fun I tried to launch the installer on another computer with this same error. (Both 64bit)I could be wrong but the only thing I can think of that these two computers have in common is I updated Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Windows Defender and UVK. I Binged around some but honestly haven’t spent much time on this yet. Do you guy have any experience with this one?

Thanks, Bill :)

FYI: Both Windows 10 64bit.
Attachments
NSIS.PNG
NSIS.PNG (4.06 KiB) Viewed 3950 times
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Nsis Error Launching Installer error

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. Does the installer pop up the UAC prompt automatically? If not, it may be worth to try right-click -> Run as administrator. Also check if Execute prevent is not blocking some related files in %appdata%.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

That was my first thought. I disabled execute prevent and UAC is/was off and rebooted and still come up with the same results. I also tried run as administrator and disabled Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware but thinking back I don’t think I disabled Windows Defender. I’m pretty busy today and don’t have much time to mess with this right now but if you or anyone has any more ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks, Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

I would say that we can forget about this issue. Just for fun and after screwing around with it and trying different things I decided to use a clone from June on my SimpleHelp server to see if the issue was still present and it is. I’m going to with this being a corrupt file that is being offered for download. I downloaded it several times and it’s the same thing. I emailed the SimpleHelp people to let them know I believe there is an issue so I will see what they say.

Thanks, Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, Bill. Hope they'll fix it up soon, if that's the case.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

This is what I was told:

“Hi Bill,

You could try:

SimpleHelp-install.exe /NCRC on a command line to see if that works?

Thanks, George”

Ok, that works but still leaves the question of why the installer of two version ago work fine but this one wont. (Just tested it.) I’m not a programmer but it sure seems like there is an issue with this install. If it was a windows issue that cropped up, shouldn’t the previous version fail as well? Since I don’t know anything about programing, it’s hard for me to know if I’m just being stupid or if it is indeed an issue with the installer.

Bill

PS: The MD5 matches.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill,

Since I am busy today as well, I'll just drop a quick note and say, it IS an installer issue. I kow this because an older one worked fine and George asked you to add a command-line switch to the installer. That switch I am guessing disables the the installer CRC check.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thank you Fred. :D
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Just to follw up on this. This is where its at for now.

Hi Bill,

No, I don't know why. The install is working here on all our 64bit test servers, and we've not received any other reports about it yet.

This error indicates a CRC error. The installer is expecting the data to produce a particular value, but it is not. I've read a bit about scenarios why this might occur on a certain machine, but I don't really have any indication as to why it is happening yet.

Thanks,
George