uvk license

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
csm

uvk license

Post by csm »

I posted some time ago a feature request,

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1613

Now I am wondering, is it a stupid question, or is there already a solution?

Perhaps some has an idea to help me with the license issue.

Thanks for your reply's
wmmiller

Re: uvk license

Post by wmmiller »

We talked about this on this viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1099&hilit=remote+support thread some time back. It’s not a direct answer to your question but take a look at the discussion and maybe it will help. :)

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

After reading through that thread I think there is now a "meet me in the middle" solution to this issue.

With the new start up scripts, you could create a script that would create scheduled task, if it didn't already exist, to remove UVK after say 4 hours? Maybe 3, 8 or 10? What ever floated your boat on the time frame.

That way you could give yourself plenty of time and if you lost connection just move on, UVK will take care of it's self.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
csm

Post by csm »

That should work indeed Jim, but what if the pc freezes or reboots while perfoming the several maintenance and repair jobs. If everything is working normal, uvk will be removed at the next reboot. But my concern is when it does not.

I am not just concerned about the license, but more that someone messes up my cloud settings and files.

If it is not possible, so be it.

For me it would nice if it is possible.

Thanks anyway.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

The scheduled task would be run the next time the PC is on.

If the PC freezes, that's just the nature of the business.

The cloud settings could just not be set for a remote but then again that is part of what makes cloud work so well.

May be Fred has a better solution in mind.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, I don't have a better idea, but as soon as I have, I'll put it to work.

But I don't think the scheduled task to remove UVK on reboot is a good idea either.

If the machine is rebooted in the middle of a repair operation, the "Continue repair" autostart will be triggered along with the task, in the next reboot, and the results could be very bad. Bill, I don't know if we did that already the other time, but it may be good to give the task a delay of an hour or two.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I see this as a two part issue.

Self uninstall: I think this could be easily accomplished by using a UVK startup script that would create a scheduled task that would remove UVK after a certain amount of time. Prolly 2 hours maybe? Could make the script check for the key and readjust as needed but this would be more advanced.

Upload to cloud: The best idea I have on this is to have the option to require UVK to ask for a password before uploading. This leads to logic issues of it's own though.
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I have been using 5 or 6 minutes for a long time and so far it has worked without causing me any problems. I do think extending the time some would be a good idea. Although for me, I need to also adjust where the files are since I’ve been just parking them on the desktop. I will look into a more hidden location.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes