UVK Portable ...... !!!

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Muhammad Tasneem

UVK Portable ...... !!!

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

I need to ask...

Why UVK portable extract itself and run from "C:\Program Files\UVK - Ultra Virus Killer\" even I copied and run from USB drive.
I have tried to run UVK from my USB drive, download "Third party builtin apps" and realized that all "Third party builtin apps" were download in "C:\Program Files\UVK - Ultra Virus Killer\Third party"

Did I do something wrong...????
Does UVK not running from in portable/stealth mode..???
For this problem, If I use my USB on other PC.... I should download again and again...

Thanks in advance
Xander

Re: UVK Portable ...... !!!

Post by Xander »

For the "Third Party" problem, you can do what I have to do and instead of using the default "%third party%", use "Installsourcedir%\Third Party". The former will download it to the c:'s folder like you found; the latter will save it to your flash or network drive from where it was launched.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

The main difference between and between installer and portable is the installer has an actual installer where the portable version must "install" it's self to work but it un-installs when you close the program if you choose to let it.

As far as the third party stuff just follow what Xander said and you can use it from any non-write protected thumb drive or a network drive, preferably not mapped as most spyware is too lazy to look for anything without a drive letter (there are exceptions to this).
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Muhammad Tasneem

Xander wrote:For the "Third Party" problem, you can do what I have to do and instead of using the default "%third party%", use "Installsourcedir%\Third Party". The former will download it to the c:'s folder like you found; the latter will save it to your flash or network drive from where it was launched.
How can I change the default %third party% value for builtin apps.....?

I believe I can change only for custom third party apps or may be I need more time to study UVK... ;)

Charger440 wrote:The main difference between and between installer and portable is the installer has an actual installer where the portable version must "install" it's self to work but it un-installs when you close the program if you choose to let it.

As far as the third party stuff just follow what Xander said and you can use it from any non-write protected thumb drive or a network drive, preferably not mapped as most spyware is too lazy to look for anything without a drive letter (there are exceptions to this).
This means portable is not real portable..... :o
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I need more time to read/test UVK in all areas...

I am already using some other good and professional products (freeware and paid both), may be I can give some suggestions to add some features..... but first I should read complete manual and test all features
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm thinking Fred will jump in here and talk about his software but just in the mean time, if you are referring to that POS d* it installs as well. It's author just houses it more trying to make it look portable and its harder to close that program than UVK. That was one of the "improvements" in the second version that was just plain stupid.

For programs like these to be effective they have to install in some form or another otherwise they can't get full access to the system like they need. Another good example of this would be rogue killer. The "driver" in the newer versions is actually it installing so that it can get proper access.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I've answered this question so many times... I'll try to give a better explanation here so becomes more clear to everyone.

UVK needs several files to work. UVK also uses different files for different Windows architectures, like any program that needs to manipulate other processes.

So if I made UVK "really" portable, It would have to be provided in two separate zip files, one for 64-bit, and another one for 32-bit. So you'd need to use the correct version according to the current Windows arch.

Additionally, automatic updates would be much more difficult. They would probably be in the form of a notification, and you'd need to manually download the new zip and update the UVK folders.

This would also bring out many other problems, such as the need of duplicate "Third party" folders, missing UVK core files on reboot, etc.

If I provided UVK portable in the zip format, everyone would be crying out for me to put things back as they used to be in a matter of minutes.

The way it is currently setup, automatic updates are made on the fly, you just need to put a few files in the same path where UVKPortable is, and you're good to go. I know there is the Third party issue, but I intend to fix that in the future, by providing an option to make %ThirdParty% be the same as %InstallSourceDir%
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

@Fred> What about copying the third party dir from installsourcedir if any?
Cause the only problem I see with the actual implementation is that if I run from my usb key on a computer that doesn't have internet, I can't remove my usb key to use it on another computer because uvk won't be able to download 3rd party apps
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred, would it be really hard to make a zip file of UVK? I understand why you do it the the way you do but maybe if you made a zip file for one version AS WELL AS the standard portable one, people would see that it really does need to be installed for various reasons.

Just a thought for you.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Manu, what if %InstallSourceDir% is C:? So you have exactly the opposite problem posted here. You need %InstallSourceDir% to be equal to %ThirdParty%. I guess I'll have to think about that too.

Jim, it's not hard at all to make a zip file. Actually anyone can do it from the UVK's install folder.

Actually this topic gave me a few ideas. i could make UVK check if %InstallSourceDir% is a network path (starting with \\ or $) and in that case, make %ThirdParty% be %InstallSourceDir%\Third Party.

Also I could make periodic checks if %InstallSourceDir% no longer exists (Manu, the USB stick was removed), and in that case make %InstallSourceDir% become the same as %ThirdParty%.

Does everyone agree with this?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Sounds like a plan to me Fred :)
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

"i could make UVK check if %InstallSourceDir% is a network path (starting with \\ or $) and in that case, make %ThirdParty% be %InstallSourceDir%\Third Party."

Simplicity itself. Image
Muhammad Tasneem

Just a suggestion..........

Installation of UVK is not the problem...... but being a service technician I prefer to always ready my own.

Mostly systems when we received are already messed up (that's why they come to us).
Specially on customer sight.... sometimes no internet connection or slow internet connection or sometimes if you have internet but you can't use/download/update your required files.

It is better If we put UVkportable.exe in a folder on USB like

G:\
-----|-UVK Portable
------------|-UVKPortable.exe
------------|-ThirdParty

So when we run UVK,
either its extract itself in %temp% folder (instead of Program files) or
on root of C:\temp

(I saw Kaspersky Virus removal Tool use this method..... Extract itself if %temp% folder and of course locked the files to save itself from viruses)

You may give the option either work with USB or without usb,
with USB: UVK run thirdparty apps directly from USB
without USB: UVK copied your selected files on temp folder (which we choose on first step, %temp% or C:\temp)

I have two 2-TB portable USB HDDs, 4pcs 32GB USB flash Drives, and some 16GB and 8GB USB Flash drives.
and once or twice a week I update my all definitions and files
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Muhammad, You don't seem to have read my reply correctly, or I wasn't clear enough.

UVK usually needs to be kept installed after several reboots. So I think it's better to perform a real install, so you can access UVK easier after reboot, through the desktop or start menu shortcuts. Also having the desktop shortcut visible will remind you that the application is still installed.

UVK can not be extracted to temp folders, because it performs cleanup of those folders and would delete it's own files. Also not extracting UVK to temp folders will allow you to run third party cleanup tools such as cCleaner without deleting UVK files.

Installing to C:\temp iks no better than installing to C:\Program files. They're just directories. As UVK portable performs a real install it is actually preferable to install to C:\Program files.

Te main point is to keep everybody happy. You usually run UVK from a pen drive and would like UVK to download tools to your pen drive so they would be updated there for other machines. Manu has pointed a different issue, he would like UVK to download to a local folder so he could remove the USB stick while UVK is running.

So keep everybody happy is not an easy task, but I'm working on it.

Fred