Windows 10 Photo Viewer stopped working

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Windows 10 Photo Viewer stopped working

Post by wmmiller »

Anyone have any ideas how to repair Windows 10 photo viewer? I have a guy that brought over a computer With Windows 10 Professional 64bit and his photo viewer isn’t working. When I click on a picture, photo viewer opens up and shows no picture and then closes. He says he can’t think of anything he did that may have change it or when it stopped working, but you all know how that goes. I went back a few restore points without luck. It is set as default but just doesn’t work. I ran many fixes and resets without results.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Re: Windows 10 Photo Viewer stopped working

Post by Charger440 »

If you find the executable, will it run on its own?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Brink

Post by Brink »

One of the pictures on the desktop (or the folder you are viewing from) is corrupt. Move them one by one to a new folder and try each one in the new location till you find the bad one. If it is important that the bad one be recovered you can try http://anderspedersen.net/jpegrepair/. Could this be something that UVK can do? If not repair the bad file, then maybe it could find the bad ones and move them out of the affected folder?
Good luck Bill. I know some picture folders are enormous.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

"I know some picture folders are enormous"

That was my first thought. I will try to move groups of them into a new folder and see what happens.

"If you find the executable, will it run on its own?" Never tried that, but will.

Thanks guys! :)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

Did you find the solution to this?
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

No I did not. I tried the two suggestion that were brought up without luck. The guy decided that he just wanted to reinstall windows himself instead of have it figured out.
Kind of funny. His wife let the cat out of the bag when she said, “I thought you said that program you used broke it”. He quickly changed the subject and shoed her away. I didn’t ask but it did make me smile. :)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL that's funny Bill :)
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

LOL I find it funny too. It's unfortunate that she was not allowed to stay long enough to divulge which program broke it. I guess we will have to learn from someone else's mistake.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I've been trying to reproduce and fix this issue in my dev laptop, which has costed me a Windows reinstall (no big deal). Here's what I could achieve:
  • Uninstalling the app using the Get-AppxPackage *windows.photos* | Remove-AppxPackage PowerShell command is a very bad idea. I tried that one, the command succeeded and completely removed the app from the system. I could not find a way to re-install the app without re-installing Windows. The same happened to the Windows Store app.
  • On the other hand, the only way of re-installing the app is PowerShell. I could not find any way of doing it through the normal Windows interface. Re-intstalling the app could have fixed Bill's customer's issue unless he had uninstalled it using the PowerShell command above.
The command to re-install Photos is as follows:

Code: Select all

Get-AppxPackage *windows.photos* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
If you want to run the command from the command prompt or other application (i.e a UVK script), the command needs to be prepared, like this:

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted "Get-AppxPackage *windows.photos* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register \"$($_.InstallLocation)\\AppXManifest.xml\"}"
The command can be used to re-install any other app. For Windows Store is like this:

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted "Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register \"$($_.InstallLocation)\\AppXManifest.xml\"}"
You can also make this command re-install all the installed apps:

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register \"$($_.InstallLocation)\\AppXManifest.xml\"}"
The current Fix the Windows store and Metro apps UVK fix is not working properly because I forgot to update it for Windows 10. I will make it run the command above, so it will re-install all the apps. The next update will be ready soon.

In my test, I uninstalled Photos and Windows Store because I thought I could re-install them. Everybody in the web says we can. But actually we can't. The commands they mention only work if the app has not been removed from the hard drive. The only way I found to fix my issue was re-installing Windows 10 using the install media, and choosing "Keep personal files and apps".

Since in the the original post's issue the app had not been removed, the commands above could have fixed it.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I have the feeling it is going to come up again in the future. Fix the Windows store and Metro apps was the first thing I tried and it didn’t work but we know why now. I wish I could have found out what he did to jack it up in the first place but unless his wife is around to tell more, I will never know. :lol:

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred, it looks like you did a lot of research. See, this is why we like you and give you money :) You spent quality time on that and didn't really have too. Although that wasn't my problem, thank you!
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You guys are welcome. I felt bad for not helping Bill with this issue in the first place, but I was so busy at that time with all the new stuff I made lately. Now I regret it because I would have updated the Windows store fix before updating UVK so it wouldn't be broken now.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Charger440 wrote:Fred, it looks like you did a lot of research. See, this is why we like you and give you money :) You spent quality time on that and didn't really have too. Although that wasn't my problem, thank you!
+1

Thanks you Fred for your support and your reactivity :)
Merci Fred pour ton support et ta réactivité :) (ça fait effectivement plus plaisir de dépenser de l'argent pour un programmeur comme toi que pour quelqu'un qui s'en fou...) Bref continu comme ça, ça fait plaisir un dev qui prend soin de son programme et de ses utilisateurs :) ... ce qui n'est malheureusement pas toujours le cas :roll:
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Hey now! Not all of us speak...... Portuguese, is it? :lol: :)
Jim

reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Charger440 wrote:Hey now! Not all of us speak...... Portuguese, is it? :lol: :)
French :D

Was just saying (like you did) that it is a pleasure to spent money for a dev like him more than for devs that don't care about their program and/or peoples that already bought it.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I agree, obviously :lol:
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the kind words guys. I hope they are deserved.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

No worries here Fred. 8-)