Auslogic Disk Defrag

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Auslogic Disk Defrag

Post by Fred »

Jim, it didn't pass "C:\program" because there was a white space just afterwards. You needed to enclose the path in double quotes. I mentioned this many times before.

If you check the box for "for don't run if files in 2,3 or 4 exist." the application will not be updated if it is already installed, even if a new version is found. I added a new command to kill the DiskDefrag.exe process before running cdefrag and it worked.

Command 2: %ComSpec% /c taskkill.exe /f /im DiskDefrag.exe
Command 3: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Auslogics\DiskDefrag\cdefrag.exe -c -f
Uninstall command: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Auslogics\DiskDefrag\unins000.exe /SILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES

This is working fine for me.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Here is my exact code from Command 2:
%ComSpec% /K "%ProgramFiles%\Auslogics\DiskDefrag\cdefrag.exe" -c -f

The resulting console window says:
C:\Program is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

It does have double quotes around it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Oh, sorry, that command fails in 64 bit OS because "%ProgramFiles%\Auslogics\DiskDefrag\cdefrag.exe" does not exist. Use "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Auslogics\DiskDefrag\cdefrag.exe" instead.

Sorry about that.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Would this be the case for something like Spybot Search and Destroy, My current setup is
Download And Install: Working
%ToolsDir%\spybot-2.4.exe /sp- /silent /suppressmsgboxes /norestart

Automatic Update, Scan & Remove: No Working
%ProgramFiles%\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWelcome.exe /autocheck /autofix /onlyspyware
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

wrc559 I don't use Spybot, but you just need to check out where SDWelcome.exe is. If it is under C:\Program files, then use %ProgramFiles%, if it is under C:\Program files (x86), then use %ProgramFiles(x86)%.

Anyway, the best thing is to locate the file using the Browse button for the command, and it will automatically create the correct variable for you.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Another thing: To ensure your commands will work in both architectures you should add the tools in a 64 bit environment.

Fred
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

Fred wrote:wrc559 I don't use Spybot, but you just need to check out where SDWelcome.exe is. If it is under C:\Program files, then use %ProgramFiles%, if it is under C:\Program files (x86), then use %ProgramFiles(x86)%.

Anyway, the best thing is to locate the file using the Browse button for the command, and it will automatically create the correct variable for you.

Sorry - Found the answer, You need to own the premium version to activate the CMD prompts for the program.
Thanks anyway! :|
Xander

Post by Xander »

Since it's not a portable app and this isn't something I'd leave on customer's systems, I've copied "cdefrag.exe" from the installed folder and put it in my Dropbox as a source. Then I use:
%installsourcedir%\Third Party\Auslogics\cdefrag.exe -c -o -dt as the Command 1 ... and that's it. This was probably one of the first third party apps I added to the SR list.
Last edited by Xander on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I had a brain fart there.... I was for some reason thinking "%Programfiles%" would determine the correct location. I guess it's because you try to simplify things and I didn't really even think about it. There is not really a good way for %Programfiles% to determine the path you intended especially on a 64 system with a 32 bit app.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Since we are on this topic, with the exception of XP and maybe Vista, Windows default defrags every Wednesday about 2am or the next time it is booted. Is a defrag program really that important anymore? It's been a long time since I seen a drive that really needed defraging. That even taking into account percentages on a large drive. To me it seems the builtin defrag does a pretty good job of keeping things tidy.

What's ya'lls opinion? DO you use these other tools "because you like them better" or do you have evidence they really do improve performance over the standard weekly defrag?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I agree with you, even though it is useful to have a fast defragmenter like this one handy for the rare cases where we find a fragmented HDD. The Windows defragmenter does a good job, but it's horribly slow.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

I've seen many a system with "last defrag" being a long time ago. Seems to drop the ball with the scheduler too often. I like Auslogic's optimizing so, when I hand it back, it's about as lean and mean as I can possibly get it for them but I'd not be doing myself any favours if I left it on their system.