Portable version.

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Muhammad Tasneem

Portable version.

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

I am using this command to Install UVK

Code: Select all

md "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool\"
UVKSetup.exe -Auto -NoRP -Installdir "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool"

This commands are not works for portable version.
Is there any commands/work around for portable version?

For zip version I just make this script... it is not good but it is working.

Code: Select all

md "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool\"
copy /y unzip.exe "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool\"
copy /y key.uvkey "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool\"
Copy /y logo.png "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool\"
copy /y uvk.zip "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool\"
cd /d "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Tasneem Repair Tool\"
unzip.exe -o UVK.zip
start UVK_en64.exe
I use unzip.exe from here:
http://stahlworks.com/dev/unzip.exe
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Portable version.

Post by Fred »

Hi Muhammad.

I will add support for the -InstallDir command line switch to UVKPortable
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Muhammad Tasneem

Thanks Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Version 10.4.1 supports a new command line switch pair: -CustomDir "Full path". Both UVKPortable and UVKSetup support it. See the command line help page for more info.

http://www.carifred.com/uvk/help/cmdswitches.php
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Muhammad Tasneem

Thanks, I will check in the evening
Xander

Post by Xander »

I'm missing something. What's the point of using the portable version if you're installing it? It belies the reasoning behind it being portable in the first place.

To install, what's wrong with the installer?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Installer and portable is "misleading" in order for UVK to function properly both versions have to install.

The SFX lets you package your own set of tools with UVK where the installer is just what Fred thinks should be in the base install of UVK. This way Fred can package his own installer and you can infinitely customize your installer. It's a win/win.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Many portable applications install. Most of them install to a temporary directory which is removed after the application closes.

Not all applications can be just a single portable EXE like Quick Any2ico, for instance. Especially since 64-bit systems became more popular than 32. Now that many applications need to have different EXEs for each architecture so much for full portability.

Anyway, the C++ version has always been fully portable, because you can move its installation directory to any machine and run it from there. It will even auto update itself. That's full portability AFAIK.

Installations derived from UVKPortable also ask if you want to uninstall on close, making it more suitable for techs who don't want to leave the application installed in the customer's machine.

Fred