Send to: Mail Recipient not working

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Send to: Mail Recipient not working

Post by FredJClaus »

Ok, I'm stumped. I ran UVK on a client's Windows 7 computer. She has Office 2013 and claims that she has always been able to right click, and do Send To Mail Recipient and it would attach to a blank Outlook 2013 message. After I ran UVK, and did a complete tune up, she can't run that function anymore. She did follow the instructions from Microsoft and made sure Outlook 2013 is her default email program, but it's not working.

I've found plenty of websites where this has happened, but no one seems to post the fix. Did I screw it up when I ran UVK, or is there another issue here? Anyone know how to fix it?
wmmiller

Re: Send to: Mail Recipient not working

Post by wmmiller »

Press and hold the "shift" key and then right click on the item. This will bring up a larger list of item. See if your missing ones are there.

See if this is helpful: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... windows-7/

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Have you tried “Fix desktop icons and context menu” and “Fix shortcuts URL’s and protocols” in the system repair section?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Is the "Send to" menu item there?
If so, is the "Mail recipient" sub-menu item there?

I would like you to export the following registry keys and post or attach the exported reg files:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\SendTo
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}
Then please run the following command from the command prompt with admin rights:

dir "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" > C:\sendtodump.txt
Post the contents or attach the C:\sendtodump.txt file in your next reply.

Note: This procedure must be executed in the affected computer.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Please also export the following registry keys and post or attach the exported reg files:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mapimail
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9E56BE60-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Ok Fred, thanks. I will be headin over there tomorrow so I can get that information for you.

Yes, I have tried those two functions in system repair. Yes the send to and mail recipient are present. This is the message she gets when she tries it.

Either there is no default mail client or current mail client cannot fulfill messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as default mail client.”
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Also we have checked in the Options of Outlook and it does already say it's the default.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, after you get that data for me - I will need it to check whether UVK may have messed up with it - you can try the following procedure to associate the "Send to mail recipient" functionality with MS outlook:

Open the Control panel, choose the Large Icons view, then select Default Programs, then Set Default Programs. In the left pane, select Microsoft Outlook, then click Choose defaults for this program, as shown in the screenshot below.
outlook1.jpg
outlook1.jpg (156.71 KiB) Viewed 12261 times
In the next window, ensure that MailTo Protocol and Send mail command are checked, and press the Save button. See screenshot below. In my case those are currently associated with Windows Live Mail, which is the email client I use (don't like MS Outlook). I could easily associate them with outlook through this method though, if I wanted to.
outlook2.jpg
outlook2.jpg (136.21 KiB) Viewed 12261 times
Let us know how it worked.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Just wanted to update you all. I'm still working on getting the information fred requested. The client had been rushed to the hospital so I wasn't able to get there. I'm scheduled again on Monday.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Fred,

Here is the contents of the sendtodump.txt file.

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 482E-9529

Directory of C:\Users\Jacqueline\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Sendto

04/05/2014 11:02 AM <DIR> .
04/05/2014 11:02 AM <DIR> ..
06/10/2009 04:45 PM 3 Compressed (zipped) Folder.ZFSendToTarget
06/10/2009 04:44 PM 7 Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink
04/05/2014 11:02 AM 0 Documents.mydocs
07/14/2009 12:54 AM 1,238 Fax Recipient.lnk
06/10/2009 04:44 PM 4 Mail Recipient.MAPIMail
5 File(s) 1,252 bytes
2 Dir(s) 450,869,923,840 bytes free
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I can't seem to attach the reg files to this so I am linking you to my box.com account where I have the files.

7A https://app.box.com/s/vo3z0tdswx5yrn8mkh33xoy0dlfw5czo
9E https://app.box.com/s/2b9xhw93pky25xpquf03ny50tvwxcewj
.mail https://app.box.com/s/pgw05eyvctojxguwn5wf4kh4ww5ix76q
sendto https://app.box.com/s/njw4jlvfwq9agci08tyzqb3ty7uc9408

Thanks for helping me with this. I hope we can figure it out.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

FredJClaus, the contents of the reg files and the sendtodump text file tell everything is fine. The problem lies elsewhere. Have you tried the procedure I mentioned above?

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I have done the "Choose defaults for this program". Everything available in Outlook is checked.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Does this matter? When I went over there today she showed me a website she looks at for her homeowners association. When she clicks on a page that requires a password on IE10 it does nothing. That same page works fine in Firefox. Could my running CCleaner have screwed something up?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Can you please summarize what you did with ccleaner and UVK?

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

In CCleaner started by running the "Cleaner" tab. I have everything checked on that tab except for "Wipe Free Space". Next I scanned the registry, and repaired anything it found.

As far as what I did on UVK, I will have to check what presets I have checked. Let me look and get back to you.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Did you save a backup?

CCleaner asks to nominate a backup location, the default is c:\Users\Your username\documents, you might have a look in there, the backup file is dated and will look like this: cc_20130628_074233.reg, select the last one (by date) right click and select "merge" this will add the reg file back to the registry.

NOTE: CC does not actually back up your registry, it creates a .reg file of all the items selected for deletion and restores them only. Do one at a time.

Bill

Here’s a dumb question. Did you try an Office repair?
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

No, stupid me didn't back up because I never had this issue happen.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Let's be cool, OK? If there are COM registry entries missing, the Register system DLLs fix should repair them.

If there are corrupt or missing system files, the SFC scan should repair them.

So, please run UVK, go to the System repair section, select and run the following fixes:

Un-immunize all areas
Fix install problems
Run Sfc scan
Register system DLLs

If that still does not fix the issues, open the permissions dialog for the following items:
C:\Windows\Installer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

Add a full access allowed ace of the Everyone group and ensure it gets inherited by all child objects.

Let me know if all is working properly now.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

This issue seems to have resolved itself. When I went back there to run these diagnostic repairs, the client informed me that it seems to be working ok. Turns out it was a corrupted Windows Update that caused the issue. Next time she ran Windows Update it fixed her problem.